howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
How low? Have you checked your Alk?

Other info about your tank might help too. Do you have a sump? Skimmer? I have heard of the pH being low just from too much CO2 in the air. Maybe opening a window might help if you can.

IndusE

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How low? Have you checked your Alk?

Other info about your tank might help too. Do you have a sump? Skimmer? I have heard of the pH being low just from too much CO2 in the air. Maybe opening a window might help if you can.

ph is 7.4
20 gallon sump with mud, caulerpra and chemipure in the return chamber
remora skimmer in sump.
unfortunately no window in room is there a way i can check for co2?

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Try baking soda buying at your local supermarket it will raise up your ph 1 teaspoon equals 20G. But still what's your ph level right now in your tank? you don't want to raise it up to much. Ph should stay between 8.0 to 8.4

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
It so happens I was having the same issue. PH in my reef got all the way down to 7.57, last night I mixed 12oz of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda with tank water once dissolved I poured it in to the return section of my sump. An hour later it was up to 7.6, this morning it was 8.02 and holding. I did not bake it.
My tank is 155 gallons with a 30 gallon sump so please DO NOT USE the amount I used.. unless of course you have the same size tank & sump I have.;) Also, it may raise the alkalinity as well.

Last edited:

IndusE

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Try baking soda buying at your local supermarket it will raise up your ph 1 teaspoon equals 20G. But still what's your ph level right now in your tank? you don't want to raise it up to much. Ph should stay between 8.0 to 8.4

I used the baking soda and it worked perfectly just hope that my ph stays consistant thank you

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
What are you dosing ro maintain calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium. Are these levels in check? I would start there first. I experienced that problem before Once I got my levels in check I began to dose two part my two part solution. I started to dose my alkalinity in the night after lights off and calcium during the day. Since then my ph never goes below 7.9

ecchybridLE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I know some city water or well water can have co2 in it. Bringing your ph down. What and where do u get water for your r/o makeup? Do u put your r/o in a bucket for top off? U could try putting an airdrome in there and see if that helps. The air stone will help release co2. But your problem will still remain if your using the same water for water changes. Just an idea

IndusE

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i dose calcium and alkalinity with brightwell code a and b every month and only after testing levels
havent done any ph dosing if that differs from the above

my ph strangely is in the 8.3/4 range after dosing with baking soda corals still look very stressed hopefully everything will pull through

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
ok so your tank only needs to be dosed monthly?how often do you do water changes? i am not sure of your stock level of corals, but typically in my tanks if i let them run 1 month without some sort of replenishment then all my levels would be out of whack.

what is your maintenance routine like? it is possible if you have a consistent maintenance routine with water changes and daily or weekly dosing of calcium and alkalinity that you would have no further need of baking soda.
some more information in the form of test results can help

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Please if you do use baking soda do not I repeat use it more then once day. Check your ph after 24 hours to see any changes in it. If you Ph goes to 8.0 after you have done 1 teaspoon per every 20G. Then no need to use baking soda again. But keep and mind check back and fourth to see if you ph level as been well establish if it as I don't see the enrage to use baking soda no more.

IndusE

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
its very weird ...outside of that ph drop all my other levels were fine. After dosing with baking soda the one day ...the ph seems to be holding steady, my corals seems to be doing better now..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: