Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So I did a ten gallon water change today. Just before changing I tested my levels of mag, alk and calc. Seeing that my calc was a bit high and mag quite low I mixed my esv salt accordingly. So about two hours after changing the water I tested my levels again. Everything but the mag was in good range.
pH: 8.0
Calc: 470 (possibly a bit high??)
Mag: 1170
Alk: 7.8

With that in mind, what would be a good route to get the mag levels back up?

Here is a recent post of mine that has a bit more info of the corals I have in my tank.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
What do you mean when you say "I mixed my esv salt accordingly" ?

ESV salt mix is not supposed to be used in proportions different than what is stated in the directions. (if you meant you changed the amounts listed in the instructions). The 'A' Bottle & 'B' bottles of fluid are NOT the same as what is in the B-Ionic that folks usually dose - there are additional ingredients in them.
The only adjustment that should be made to ESV salt would be the salinity level you are aiming for.

That said - you CAN adjust ESV Salt mix (after you have mixed it per the directions) by adding additional Mg, Ca or Alk through the use of B-Ionic or a bottle of their Mg. (Do read the instructions carefully on how much you can adjust your Mg levels as Mg is not a parameter you should make quick adjustments to).

Just looking to clarify what you meant in your post :)

Also - you don't state how many gallons the tank is - so we can't be sure how much of an impact a water change should have had on your prior parameters

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
He did list is current tank at bottom it was 34 gallon. Like stated add a little more Mag. Maybe you should test the next 10 gallon mix and so you are adding the right amount of Mag. If you are using scoops you might not be adding full amount of 1 cup of Mag to 10 gal mix. Your not to far off...

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Ok let me clarify a bit. I have noticed that when I mix the esv salts according to their directions that my calc is typically above 500 and my mag is below 1200 in the DT. After that I have been testing the fresh water going into a tank during a water change to make sure the parameters are within the range noted in my test kits based on the parameters of my DT(mag 1300-1500, calc 350-450, alk 7-8 All from Salifert).

A side note, when I mix my salt I weigh everything using a 500x.01g scale and a basic home scale for weighing the water.

I mix the mag, A and B just below the noted levels in the directions, wait 20-30 minutes to ensure the water is mixed well and then begin testing. From that point I compare the levels of the new water with the levels in my DT tank. So for instance if my DT alk is a bit high then I mix the fresh water with alk levels closer to 7, if the mag is a bit low I mix the mag on the higher end of the accepted range. This has been working just fine for me. However this last time for some reason my mag came out way to low (could be that I ran out of Salifert mag test on first test and switched to Elos on second test??). Either way, I want to get the mag back up. To do this I was considering dissolving some of the magnesium from the esv kit into some water from the DT and slowly dosing that back into the tank. What I'm not sure of is, how much do I dose every day, and is it ok to use the mag from the esv kit or if I should buy a mag supplement instead.

Hopefully this eliminates a bit of the confusion.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sure that will work. Just add a little at a time and test each day ti'll you get closer to the range you want. Also watch cal and alk while adding Mag. Other way do small water changes and add a little bit more Mag than normal. Check mag after each water change and you will have idea on what you added that change the range. Mag is same as espon salt....

Last edited:

Coralreefer1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always dose in small amounts as to not overshoot levels and stress out livestock. Magnesium levels are not that bad as you should ensure that magnesium levels are roughly 3x your calcium level. Being that your calcium level is alittle on the high side by lowering your calcium level, you will in effect notice that your magnesium level is in a optimal range. Remember that calcium and alkalinity tend to work in opposite direction of each other!

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
It seems to me after using ESV for at least a few months that there are some problems with either me, or the product.
I dose nothing. After using this product for a while and seeeing some chalice problems in my tank I did some testing.
My mag was off the chart. 2100
The salt mixes nice. But thats where it ends. For me anyway.
I'm sure I was not measuring wrong. I used a Dig. scale, and deal with measuring things everyday.
This is JMO, but beware. I would advise checking Cal, alk, and mag params on every batch. Too much work for me. So I went back to reef crystals. Everything is back on track.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: