tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Hi Y'all,
I am a beginner at trying to hook up RO/DI systems without the easy faucet hookup. I have researched but am only finding 3 or so options for water hook ups from all of the different types of RO/DI's. None of them work for me.

I live in a place with flexible tubing (threaded) for the sinks and through research understand that I cannot use the piercing valve.

I do have a washer/dryer installed (in a tiny closet that would not easily allow me to move anything), but cannot get to the water port and wouldn't know what to do with it if I did (if I broke something I would be responsible for fixing it...). So I cannot use the washer hook up option.

While my building has a waterhose/ spout on the outside but I cannot use that. It is on the 1st fl and I am on the 2nd floor. I am not going to lug 150gal of water up stairs.

So, what are my options??? All of the RO/DI's I see only have those 3 hook up options.

I am verging on just using tap water and then working hard to reduce phosphates over time. I mean, most of the people I see with RO/DI's still complain about phosphate levels and use tons of different reactors, chemicals and biological filtration. This suggests to me that ...RO/DI's combined with the nature of our tanks (feeding, living things, light, nitrogen, etc) may not be worth it.

So...thoughts?

IMG_20120425_194325.jpg

Last edited:

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Ah, sorry, I forgot to directly say that I cannot use the faucet attachment. It's some 'fancy' type of thing where I would need to essentially dismantle the sink to accomplish that.

I do not know how to split the line under my sink.

Part of the problem is that I do not have kind of technical/mechanical/etc skills and do not feel comfortable potentially messing up my sink. I would be responsible for fixing any potential damage. It may sound/be easy to you, but for someone that is not confident in that arena...it's not so easy.

Well, Andy, that's part of the problem. We knowingly put phosphates (Food, life, light) into the tanks everyday and then constantly make efforts to reduce them. Some folks throw tons of money/time/effort into different types of reactors, huge fuges, etc. There are tons of people that do not use RO/DI units.

I am not opposed to buying one. I definitely want one. I just need to know how to make it a feasible option.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
James, the water line is behind the washer/dryer which has been forced into an undersized closet.

If this can be done under the sink (splitter), then I would be willing to try that...I'll youtube to see how people have done it with a sink with soft tubing and of course, give undersink another look.

NewfiDog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Newfi: Hm, I think I'll visit Home Depot and see if they have that under sink option.
Most of the RO/DI units Ive seen do not have the speedy valve as an option to include in the package.

I think that's likely what Tonyscoots is talking about too.

Will get it this weekend and try it out. If it works as in, at least fits,and i can turn on the water and the faucet still works w/o leaking...then I will order my RO/DI unit!
Finally.

Thanks folks!

NewfiDog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are speedy valves, those should be 3/8 and those fitting will work. Just read the tag on the flexi supplies will tell you if its 3/8 compression, from the pic they almost look like 1/2 inch compression but i dought it.
Easy simplle no tourch needed :] Then you just need to deal with the drain, some kits come with a saddle for that.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: