haiyzues

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
hi all, i have a 75 gallon FOWLR set up going for about a month now. I currently only have a marineland 400 and a whisper 60 that i was recommended to use at my LFS. What else can i add to my tank in terms of filtration, can I add a sump made of a 30 gallon tank, if so can anyone help me on how to do that? please help, anyhting would be much appreciated, thank you.

I have a pair of ocellaris clownfish, blue hippo tang, yellow tang, flame angel and a porcupine puffer.

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
You can definitely add a sump but you're gonna have to use an overflow box since the tank already has water n it. Your beat bet would be to get a temporary holding tank for the fish,drain the dt and drill it. I can do it for you in about 10 mins. I would go 1 1/2", which I already have the bit for. If your interested, shoot me a pm wit your # and we can work out the details

haiyzues

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
is drilling the tank the only solution? i was thinking of a hang on the back overflow with pvc pipe going into the sump/refugium, i just don't know how to go about doing that.

I don't have anything in the way, I have an iron stand and yeah it would go under the DT

thanks

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
You can definitely add a sump but you're gonna have to use an overflow box since the tank already has water n it. Your beat bet would be to get a temporary holding tank for the fish,drain the dt and drill it. I can do it for you in about 10 mins. I would go 1 1/2", which I already have the bit for. If your interested, shoot me a pm wit your # and we can work out the details
Wonderful gesture from a wonderful guy!! I would take him up on it, using an overflow box can at times be problematic especialy if the flow is broken and it can flood over , it should be a final solution if drilling is not an option !!

My last tank was an overflow box setup and it was a pain in the neck big time, now having a reef ready tank i can see a world of a difference in noise lol and in water filtration volume!!

Drill it!!

haiyzues

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I would like to drill the tank eventually, i just need some time to get the money together for a holding tank big enough for all the fish i have. Any ideas how big my sump should be or how to go about making it?

haiyzues

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Also, if anyone can help me with this, my water levels are all great but there seems to be a lot of particles in my water and a lot of algae growth, the brown kind, I've heard its good for the rocks but its starting to grow everywhere, any suggestions or tips?

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
You can use anything for a holding tank. A large Rubbermaid container from Target will work. Since your tank is so new you could complete this in a very short amount of time.
We are recommending doing this now. Once your tank matures the cost of drilling for an overflow is not measured in money but in the work needed to move the livestock without crashing the system.
Check out this site for great DIY sumps.
http://www.melevsreef.com/

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Not all. How many and what kind of fish? You will need a container large enough to hold your fish for a few hours.
You will want to save as much water as you can. And you will need plenty of new water on hand. Around 50% of your capacity for any loss. Plus the water change you will want to do in the days following.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: