• IMAG2196.jpg
    IMAG2196.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 290
  • IMAG2160.jpg
    IMAG2160.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 293
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. I picked it up for 5 bucks and it's been doing okay for the past couple of months. I am open for suggestions. It's alive but I can't say that it is thriving. Do you have these?

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
No I don't. But before you buy something living and place it in your tank you should have a reasonable amount of knowledge on how to care for it.
If its $5 or $500 it is still a living coral that requires care.
A simple Google search will clear up a huge amount of prerequisite knowledge at the point of sale.
If it is something you are still unsure about then leave it for another reefer who would be better equipped to handle it.
You will find this challenging at best. Not the kind of coral a noob should focus on.

Last edited:

greybolt03

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I love the way people act like they've never made an impulse buy or picked something up without researching first instead of scolding him like a child how about helping him out....
Here is some info on the coral

*QUICK STATS
Care Level: Expert Only
Temperament: Peaceful
Lighting: Low
Waterflow: Medium to Strong
Placement: All
Water Conditions: 72-78? F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025
Color Form: Orange, Red
Diet: Plankton Eater
Supplements: Iodine, Trace Elements
Compatibility: View Chart
Origin: Fiji, Indo-Pacific, Indonesia, South Pacific
Family: Nephtheidae

What do these Quick Stats mean? Click here

overview
The Carnation Tree Coral or Dendronephthya Carnation is one of the most beautiful and peaceful corals, and is also known as the Cauliflower Soft Coral, or Strawberry Soft Coral. There are over 250 different identified Dendronephthya species. It is found in a variety of flamboyant colors with red or orange being the most common. It is normally shipped while attached to a small piece of live rock or coral rubble.
It is extremely difficult to maintain in the reef aquarium, and should be housed in an established reef aquarium, by the more advanced marine aquarist. It requires low lighting combined with medium to strong water movement. It is necessary to have a constant current with an abundance of algal plankton. For continued good health, it will also require the addition of strontium, iodine, and other trace elements to the water.

It does not contain the symbiotic algae zooxanthellae. Therefore, its diet should include live, baby brine shrimp, micro-plankton, and other small foods designed for filter feeding invertebrates, in order to survive in the reef aquarium. These foods must be available almost constantly. Again, only expert aquarists should attempt to keep this coral.

It is normally shipped while attached to a small piece of live rock or coral rubble.

Approximate Purchase Size: Small: 2" to 3"; Medium: 3" to 5"; Large: 5" to 7"

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
great info greybolt and ecl if u can take that rock with the aptasia and try scrape it of if it the only one u have that guy can become a problem if the are more than one then peppermint shrimp east that but i would try to kill it before u know it there be a few of those guys and there no good for bizz

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
Not sure I would scrape Aptasia off a rock they tend to shrink up and part of it stays on the rock and re grows when you put it back in the tank, but better to pour boiling water on it ( out of the tank) or get a surgical syringe and inject it with lemon juice or Joes juice (this can be done in the tank)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advise. I took the rock off yesterday and poured lemen juice on it then boiler water and for good measure poked and prodded the area with a paper clip tip to scrape it off. I have it sitting in a dark salt water bucket hooked up to my canister filter. I'll let it sit in the dark for a couple of week at least to make sure it is cured properly.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I never let mine know what things really cost.
It's just easier that way.
Didn't mean to be so abrupt earlier.
If you are in the Westbury area I will hook you up with a frag if you are interested.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I am in the Westbury area. I live in Bellmore and often go to Aquarium Village in Garden City which isn't far from Westbury. What kind of frags do you have? Thanks for the advice...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: