ajm99835

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ok...so lately some crazy things have been happening in my tank.

All my parameters check out just fine and are exactly where they need to be

I can't help but to think that all these mishaps might be connected somehow.

Please Help

Mishaps are as follows:

- Established corals encrusting on rocks and plugs are melting from the tips down or from the middle outward....from what i've read RTN is from the base up so i've ruled that out but not entirely sure

- some zoa frags/colonies are closing while others are doing just fine and growing...these colonies and frags have sat in the same spots for months living just fine.

- my clam whose been fine for about 6 months all of a sudden was on the sand upside down this afternoon with the foot gone and half the clam gone.

If anyone can offer any sort of advice or reasons that would be great

- Skimmer and heaters are working fine
- Both sump and display tank are grounded
- I check the tank all hours of the day and night and have never seen a pest of any sort...the only thing that plagues my tank are amphipods but i've read they don't bother anything.

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
nitrate is 5 or .5 or .05?

get a flash light cover it with red cellophane and search around in the middle of the night see whats moving. if u want u can drop a piece of something meaty in the tank as bait to see what come for dinner.

I never understand how people have 12dkh and 450 calcium what do you dose and how much how often?

how old and what kind of test kits?

how old is the tank?

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I suspect the mishaps are related but unrelated. poor qt = multiple pests. that's just my omg the sky is falling approach to any "problems" in my reef. I am looking verry close for zoa eating nudys they are the same color as the zoa they are on.

im also after a crab of some sort that ate my clam.

my guess off the cuff lol

ajm99835

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I dose with brightwell aquatics and i dose every other 2 days or so to keep it steady

test kits are salifert

i dip everything for minimal 30 minutes

i've checked every night for the past 2 weeks and just last night for the first time saw a semi clear flatworm...i checked every frag and only found a few more... in total 5

the tank is over 2 years old and only now am i seeing issues.

the last thing added was the clam which was about 6 months ago

ajm99835

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i am getting frustrated as i don't want to continue to lose things... i feel crazy because i have several alarms set on my phone that i check my tank all hours of the night...thats only been the last few nights or so but i want to get to the bottom of this....thanks in advance for all the comments and help

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: