felix tesler

Experienced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
most of the time the best cure for that is take the rock out of the tank and if you can crack the rock in half wear glove because you dont know what kinda worm it is for sure

the other thing you can do is remove the rock and squirt some lime juice in that spot where you saw the worm acidic levels will kill mostly anything in that area

and third thing you could do is buy a worm trap some people say they dont work but i have seen it work

but the general idea is if you cant figure out what it is then to be on the safe side take it out of your tank. good luck hope to see some pics of your tank soon on the staten island forum

felix tesler

Experienced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
be patient dont add a 200 dollar fish in a tank that is still cycling tangs can easly get ick your first fish should be a 2 dollar damsel let the tank cycle the bio load it takes time this a not something you wana rush achellis tangs are very delicate fish and need proper care purple tangs require alot of vegitation or else the purple color fades

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
If it is in fact a peanut worm...those are just fine in a reef tank..no need to take it out.

However, a tang in a 36g tank is a monumental no-no. Tangs need swimming room so the do not get stressed out...a tank of an absolute minimum of 4 foot but you really should have a tank 6 foot long to house a tang properly.
Please reconsider this purchase as there are fish far more fitting, and just as interesting that you could keep in a 36G tank.

ChrisB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Yes I know tangs can me a pain especially when adding new fish. I used to have a 180 gallon all fish . My wetrdy was a 125 gallon , it was a the mdt of planet of the fish on Victory I took it before we closed lol. That was 12 years ago lol and it has been so long out of the hobby I forget .So this is my first reef and my fav tang is the blonde naso , I just love their temperment. Are there any tangs that stay small?

felix tesler

Experienced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yes I know tangs can me a pain especially when adding new fish. I used to have a 180 gallon all fish . My wetrdy was a 125 gallon , it was a the mdt of planet of the fish on Victory I took it before we closed lol. That was 12 years ago lol and it has been so long out of the hobby I forget .So this is my first reef and my fav tang is the blonde naso , I just love their temperment. Are there any tangs that stay small?

no most tangs get big i really nice tang is also a scopas tang really cool fish

ChrisB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Cool I never had a scopas, My plan is and tell me if making wrong choices.
1 Tang
1 clown , prob true percula
1 flame angel
1 mandarin <--not sure if he will like the surge mode from mp10?
1 anthuis
1 wrasse <-- not sure which kind
1 pseudo fridmani
1 purple fire fish
gobys
and a tiger pistol shrimp
Will the pistol shrimp kill other shrimp?
If any any of these fish don't like current please let me know i will tone down my mp10. I might have went over kill with my sump , 29 gallon , 8 gallon fuge w/miracle mud, mtc hsa-250 skimmer w/rio 2500 pump, return pump is a mag 9.5 w/ head pressure of approx 5ft.

Last edited:

felix tesler

Experienced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
with the mp you should be able to lower the flow with the controller if your return from your over flow is to stong then you need to get a mag 7 most fish will take surge but some corals wont i usually get a pair of clowns pistol shrimp will kill other shrimps and some wrase can be dangerous to the reef

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Cool I never had a scopas, My plan is and tell me if making wrong choices.
1 Tang
1 clown , prob true percula
1 flame angel
1 mandarin <--not sure if he will like the surge mode from mp10?
1 anthuis
1 wrasse <-- not sure which kind
1 pseudo fridmani
1 purple fire fish
gobys
and a tiger pistol shrimp
Will the pistol shrimp kill other shrimp?
If any any of these fish don't like current please let me know i will tone down my mp10. I might have went over kill with my sump , 29 gallon , 8 gallon fuge w/miracle mud, mtc hsa-250 skimmer w/rio 2500 pump, return pump is a mag 9.5 w/ head pressure of approx 5ft.

Again...the (any) tang is an extremely poor idea in a 36G tank, so best to cross that off your list until you have a much larger tank.

Flame Angel - many of these are coral nippers, but not all. You won't know until the fish ages and then they are a pain to get out of the tank.

Mandarin - the issue isn't the flow - it's the food. It is not common to be able to get one of these fish to eat what you are feeding the tank. their natural diet is copepods and they eat 200-400 of them per day. Unless you plan on purchasing bottles of copepods to feed this fish, it will likely die in your tank. (once they stop eating due to lack of food, they often will not begin eating again even if you flood the tank with live copepods) :(
They are suggested to be housed in a very well established tank.

Anthias - not known as a fish for a beginner, many are difficult to get eating

The others are good choices.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: