MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
I think any of those skimmers will be alittle small for a 200....you will hear alot of opinions on skimmers...I did alot of research before I got my mine....the best bang for the buck with a larger skimmer I narrowed it down to a Vertex and a SRO...I found the better deal on my Vertex.

Rock11754

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
skimmer

The rule of thumb is to buy a skimmer double the size if you can afford it. Go to Marine depot. Aqua max is a very good skimmer and on sale for 20% off. I got a 200 gallon fish tank. I just bought a auga max 300s. It good for 300 gallon. The orginally cost was 449.00 and with 20% off i got it for 361.00. Its a steal...

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
Out the 3 listed vertex is the better one but i think those that listed are a little small for a 200g and if $$ don't matter I think u will do a lot better with a sro maybe the 3000 imo

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
It depends how the skimmer is rated. Lightly stocked, medium stocked or heavily stocked. I think Vertex is pretty close to the number compared to other manufacturers.
I picked up a Reef Dynamics, formerly Euroreef skimmer, and they size their skimmers by the numbers.
You need to include the size of your sump when you are thinking about volume. A 200 gallon tank with a 75 sump needs a skimmer rated at more than a 200 system.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks for my input, my biggest problem is that my sump only has room for something 10 * 10 * 30. Currently i am running a coralife 65(haha) but my tank is problem free and corals are growing. Just looking to put money into the tank and the skimmer was my weak link. I think im going to go with the vertex.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
If money is truly no object, take a look at the ATB or Bubble King Supermarin line. For a bit cheaper, but still excellent quality, Warner Marine has a new set of skimmers based off the Skimz brand.

Vertex is by far your best choice out of the three that you listed up top, though. If you find you don't like the Vertex pump, you should be able to upgrade it to a Tunze Silence or ATB Airstar.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: