daviddd

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a Newbie and would like to introduce myself. My name is David D. and I live on Long Island in a small apartment. I have wanted a salt water aquarium for a long time. I am newly retired and now have found the time I needed to dive into the Hobby. I have read many , many forums as I am trying to take the first step.
After much thought I decided that the best way to go is either a 24 Gal. AquaPod or a 12 Gal. NanoCube. Besides LS & LR my tank would have mostly Softies with a few SPS's. A few fish may follow down the road.
I Need Advice on the AquaPod and the NanoCube. Any knowledge out there on either tank would be greatly appreciated. Any and all Suggestions or Advice for a Tank in a very Small Space would also be Very Much Appreciated.
Thanks for letting me join this Great "Club" and I look forward to many Threads to come.
THANKS!!
David D.

daviddd

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I was leaning towards, but then I was hearing some Bad things about the AquaPods Filtration system and the hood. That is where the NanoCube suggestion came into play.
THANKS for the quick response and the warm Welcome.

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Welcome aboard David~

There are a few members that have had NanoCubes crack for no reason.
I don't know too much about the Aquapods.

I feel you on the space limitations.
Did you take a look at the Oceanic 30 gal cubes?

Good luck & keep us posted.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
30g oceanic cubes are great- they also make a 37g semi cube thats not much bigger (my upgrade to be)...

I currently have a 16g AGA bowfront - takes up pretty much the same space as a 10g, just taller and a little wider due to the 'bow'...

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
All Glass Aquarium. Pretty solid glass aquariums - not as high end as Oceanic (their high end manufacturer). Many pet store sell them - you'll see AGA tanks everywhere. You can look up their website online- and see a list of the tanks (though for some reason the 16g isn't listed now, but you can find it around).

Masterswimmer has a 16g bowfront too...

I can give you specs on a good basic aqaurium if you want - I don't have too many bells and whistles in my tank (no sump, etc.) but it looks great and has been running well for almost a year now!

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
no prob-

I got the tank/stand from a local petstore in NJ- it shouldn't be hard to get from an authorized AGA dealer- and there are a lot of them. Just look on their website...

For the equipment:

*Remora HOB skimmer w/ maxijet 1200
*AquaClear 70 HOB filter (I use it w/o any media- for added water volume and as a place to put probes, etc. I also drilled a hole in top to put my Ice Probe Chiller...)
*Ice Probe Chiller
*150w Titanium Heater Won Brothers II (don't need that much wattage- but I wanted a titanium heater w/ a digital controller... I put it in the side chamber of my Remora skimmer to hide it...)
*3 micro Tunze pumps (for chaotic water flow - you can go w/ any small pumps...)
*80w Orbit PC light (Great light for the tank, but if I were to do it again i'd go w/ a Sunpod 70w or 150w MH fixture...)
*Grounding probe for tank
*GFCI switch

---Thats really all I have for my tank, but I also have
*An Auto Top off unit for fresh water top offs- I built a custom acylic container that fits in the stand.
*PinPoint Ph monitor
*Refractometer (you need this)

---For livestock:
I bought a 16g package from Tampabay Saltwater (www.tampabaysaltwater.com). Great aquacultured rocks, good prices, and they ship in water so you have little/no curing time. Lots of ups and downs w/ this rock so do research before choosing rock - its important!

Various books,etc..

:)

daviddd

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last question for now REEFER....What do you use for water? Do you have a filtration system hook up, Brita Filter, Gallons of distilled water from Drug Store.....OR/??
THANKS for the Set-up Guide Reefer!!

druluv

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I like the finnex Cubes, Oceanic is nice, but you have to invest more . Finnex is plug and play. Comes with light, Protein skimmer, and filtration

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Hi David. Welcome to MR.
Nice to have another future addict in the house. Can you say 12 step program? :lol: :kidding:

I also have a 16g bowfront. However, this was my 2nd reef tank. My first is ~ 100g with sump and fuge. It is MUCH easier to keep a larger volume of water stable than a smaller volume. So I agree with everyone before me, get the largest tank you can possibly fit into your space. Old saying, "The solution to pollution is dilution".

Here's a full tank shot of my 16g bowfront:
FTSMarch17th2006.jpg

Small can be nice, but gaining your experience on something larger might make you more successful and less frustrated.

BTW, Brita filters are only carbon filters. An RO/DI unit can be mounted underneath a sink.

swimmer

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Russ you have 12 steps to get to your tank, I have 18 from the front door, I guess it's because I live in an upstairs unit, Anyway I agree with Russ that the biggest possible tank you can afford and fit is the best Idea. I had a 29 gallon for a while and it was fairly small and did very well. Now I have a 55 gallon and I love it, can't wait to move so I can go bigger.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I use distilled water for top offs and most of my changes- I do have an RO/DI unit that I get too lazy to hook up sometimes as it takes forever to fill a 5 gallon bucket w/ my small unit and my roomates hate it in our kitchen sink...

I'd agree to get the bigest tank possible- I would say something like a 30g cube would be best for size/volume. but keeping a small tank stable isn't as hard as you think - as long as you have an auto top off unit...I did do a lot of research before taking the plunge though! the real problem is with growth! I have to upgrade tanks soon (just got a 37g cube) since I want more frags! Also my corals are starting to touch more and more- gets annoying...unless you are into constantly pruning your colonies...and are able to keep from buying more coral!

Trust me that you WILL get the urge to add more coral, get annoyed that theres no more space- and upgrade eventually anyway. Get the largest you can afford and fit! Don't get me wrong, I love the 16g - but if I were to do it over again I would have gone w/ a 30g cube or something along those lines - not too much more expensive and twice as large!

Last edited:

daviddd

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefer....Thanks for all your advice. Of course I have another question...what is an "Auto top off". This is the first I have seen that. Does it go by another name, or can you tell me where I can find a website with an auto top off.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: