ChrisB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I am wondering if anyone has a tip to dissolve kalk good. Ihave added some to my auto top-off reservoir and i see it collecting on bottom. It has been in there for days with lots of stirring . I seen a vid on you tube of a guy disolving it in vinegar then putting it in ro water for top-off.

NewfiDog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The collection at the bottom is normal, and you dont want that to get into your tank. If you put the kalk in the top of water you need to raise your pump off the bottom. You only want the clear stuff. I actually disssolve mind in a seperate container first over night, and put the clear in my reservoir, so the pump dosent get clogged and i dont have to clean the reservoir to often. I also understand you really dont want the stuff floating at the top either but that gets in my reservoir.

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
....also by adding vinagar with the kalk in the ATO it helps in two ways by first supersaturating the kalk so more is dissolved in solution so you can actually use less to achieve the same levels and secondly it's a carbon source which when added into the tank it will help with excess nutriants...I've been using it for a few years now. If your going to try start at only 10ml of vinagar to each gallon of topoff water.

ChrisB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
....also by adding vinegar with the kalk in the ATO it helps in two ways by first supersaturating the kalk so more is dissolved in solution so you can actually use less to achieve the same levels and secondly it's a carbon source which when added into the tank it will help with excess nutriants...I've been using it for a few years now. If your going to try start at only 10ml of vinegar to each gallon of topoff water.
Do you avoid the bottom stuff and the floating top stuff too? I put a power head in my top off to keep it mixing is this ok. I am going to start using the vinegar

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks Mike, going away for a week, I was thinking doing this to my top off. Because not going to be there to add the two parts. Hoping this will maintain so levels don't drop when not adding two parts. So I have 8 gal top off so 80ml of vinagar how much Kalk ?

NewfiDog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent used the vinegar, but whatever kalk you buy will tell you how much per gallon but it depends on your usage. Most say 1/8 to 2 teaspoons per gallon after that the water cannot absorb anymore. If i remember right brightwells may have said up to 4 teaspoons. If you use it in your top off it most likley will not maintain your levels again depends on coral load. Some days you evaporate more than others. I happen to still have to dose but much less and it is much cheaper.

As far as the power head goes if you are putting the kalk in your reservoir, i would say no, you need the stuff to sink to the bottom as far as anything i have read, and i havent seen anyone doing it. but mabey someone else knows something different but i would not put a power head in there.

I am tempted to try some vinager not for the carbon dosing but for the better dissolving of the kalk.

mqur1963

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
newfidog is correct
i use ato with two little fishes kw reactor 300 yiu put in reactor 12/ to full cup and it will mix it at he bottom and the clear water from top will ad in to your refugim or tank i been doing this from 2 years and no issues.

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Thanks Mike, going away for a week, I was thinking doing this to my top off. Because not going to be there to add the two parts. Hoping this will maintain so levels don't drop when not adding two parts. So I have 8 gal top off so 80ml of vinagar how much Kalk ?

try about 3-4 teaspoons and 80ml of vinagar then mix it..wait till it settles then test the PH of the clear water if it's 11 or better your good...just make sure the ATO line is away from the inlet of the return pump so it has a chance to mix with the sump water before going into the tank with the PH that high...before going away run it for a few days to see if there are any big swings in alk or PH of the tank...

BTW..The NYPD had their graduation ceramony at St. John's today.....it was a long day for me, but saw alot of people I haven't seen in a few years...

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: