Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi everyone & anyone who can provide insightful views,

My 1st tank, 1st cycle. About 15 days old. :party:

Just a thought from a new guy:

I have my in tank Skimmer going, and its removing live rock waste Mostly hair algae from a Fiji Rock.

Isn't this prolonging my 1st cycle?
Should i cut it off until my tank has cycled at least once? or until I see Diatoms at least? :scratch:

All Basic test Levels have been flat at zero...ammo, nitrite, Nitrate.

Let me know....Getting Antzie.:spin:

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
If your going thru a cycle, how is everything testing 0? Your ammonia should be on the rise at the very least. I wouldn't run the skimmer and you have to put something in to start an ammonia spike. Dont get too antzie, the only things that happen fast in this hobby are bad things. Good luck

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I've used my skimmer on both tanks I've done during the cycle. Like fishman said if you have had no ammonia show yet you're cycle hasn't started. Are you dosing the tank with bacteria? Or flake fish food? You need to give the tank something for the bacterias in the live rock to eat and produce bi products.

Diatoms will come after your cycle is complete pretty much, it's another stage it'll go through along with possibly some green hair algae. Use no lights during cycle and be patient DO NOT let your antzieness get the best of you, this is THE MOST IMPORTANT time to be absolutely patient.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks Guys!

I have not added anything to my tank besides the live rocks,
From what I researched I thought some waste would come with my rocks.
But guess not as much as I need....

My Next move...Cut off the skimmer for a few days....and introduce waste.

I like the fish flake idea....Any other items recommended?
Can I use Mysis Shrimp?

-MM

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: