ruha456

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Hi MR I need help with a new tank I am starting for my mom she is upgrading from a 12G Nano to a 45G corner tank that is not drilled for a sump. I believe it's a Marineland tank with stand. Anyhow what I need help with is what filtration to go with any input is appreciated. Going with T5's for lightning.

shmibly

True Maggot
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe me, everything hang on SUCKS, its annoying, sloppy looking, and messy, you will find yourself just cutting things up and throwing things on when you feel you need them. I did this with my old 55 and I really started to hate it. Even though it seems like a pain, I would drill it. I dont trust those hob overflows, but thats just my opinion.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Trying to not have to drill a hole in the tank don't mind something hang on or even an eshopp overflow system into a sump. Or maybe everything hang on.

As someone who ran a 33G tank with a 20G sump using an overflow box similar to the Eshoppes one for more than a few years, I say go for it. Properly installed with siphon breaks and using a U-tube, it should run flawlessly. I only took that tank down because I won a larger tank, or it would still be running today.

..just think, she'll never have to deal with a fish stuck in an overflow :fish:, or algae or whatever else growing in there!

I do think you should run it with a sump due to the other equipment like the skimmer, heater and possibly reactors..as that does make does a much neater appearance.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Another sump fan here. And, I would go with a drilled tank.
A lot less worries when it comes to floods.

I also dont like the corner tanks as far as lighting them.
You will find a lot of dark corners and light concentrated in the middle.
Do you already have the tank? Is it too late to get something like a solana or a Marineland cube?

yogi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
i agree with these guys. After waking up at 3am to mop up the floor and figure out why it flooded. Plus the look on the wife's face after it happened. I bought another tank and already drilled it lol

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
In any system, the less needless parts you have will mean the better it will perform.
Overflow boxes may be fine, but they may not be. Either way, running a system without them is much better. Since a snail in the wrong place can end up with 5 gallons of saltwater on the floor.

They are only used when they have to be, not because people want to.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: