SaltWaterN00b

\/\/h47 @ n00b !!!
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Ok well I took the advice of someone here and added the Nitrex to the tank, picking up live rock this weekend and next weekend getting some fish.

How do you introduce the fish to the tank, I read not to mix the LFS water with your water, just wasnt sure how to do it

deelucky

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
well when you get the fish home(by the way this is what i do)im assuming you dont have a qt tank this should be a must take it from me i learned the hard way no im forced to deal with a major case of ich.anyway float the bag 15 min so that the temp of ther bag will be the same as the tank.after that i add 1/8 of a cup of my tank water into the bag every five minutes for 15min when the bag is kinda full i dump that out and start the adding water again for another 15 min then after all thats done i pour the bag water through a net and place the fish in.another method i used was the drip method you'll need a brand new bucket and airhose line to feed a drip into the bucket not to slow not to fast.you might have to pitch the bucket some so that your fish are submerged.good luck

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I float my fish in the bag for about 10 minutes, Then I open the bag and fold the top down to create a pocket in the top so it will still float. Then I add 2 shot glassed of aquarium water to the bag every 2-3 mins for about 15 mins. Then I dump out half of the water in the sink and float the bag adding aquarium water untill the water doubles. Net the fish and put him in the tank, discarding all of the water in the bag. Sometimes for harder fish and coral I use the drip method Which is I prop up on an angle a 5 gallon bucket and start a siphon with a piece of airline tubing I make sure the tube drips about 2-3 drops per second and place the fish and bag into the bucket, I open the bag and let the water drip into the bag untill it overflows into the bucket and fills the bucket half way. once that happens I net the fish and put him in the tank.

Great for water changes too LOL

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
deelucky said:
oh most important never pour lfs water in your tank "NEVER".that can be very "BAD".

This is for many reasons, the 2 major is that you may introduce parasites and diseases into your tank, The other is that you don't know what they dose so you may be adding bad chemicals to your tank. If you have inverts and they dose copper say bye bye to most inverts.

I have added my LFS water to my tank with no problems but I also have a very good relationship with my LFS and he lets me test his water when I buy a fish and he even lets me catch my own fish as well as feed to see if the fish are eating before I buy. I know he doesn't dose anything that I don't dose and he certainly doesn't dose copper. All of his tanks have inverts.

Last edited:

deelucky

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
:scratch:
Chiefmcfuz said:
This is for many reasons, the 2 major is that you may introduce parasites and diseases into your tank, The other is that you don't know what they dose so you may be adding bad chemicals to your tank. If you have inverts and they dose copper say bye bye to most inverts.
yes indeed i forgot about that good touch up.i should of explained why you dont add lfs water in your tank.

Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
What's the best way to introduce a sponge into your tank if you cant expose it to air and the LFS water sholdn't be added to your tank?

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
After acclimation submerge the bag into the water and keep it straight up and down, after removing the sponge pinch the bag closed and lift it out of the tank. Discard the water. The amount of water that escapes the bag will not be enough to harm the tank.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Keep in mind too that sponges that grow on live rock and come with it have been exposed to the air quite a bit. I have one sponge on a piece of LR that I have removed from my tank a few times exposing it to the air and it is still quite alive and well.

SaltWaterN00b

\/\/h47 @ n00b !!!
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
sweet! Thanks bro Im ready when you are! The only reason i wont be ready for fish this weekend is because of my sickness "LackOmoolah". I'll pick em up tonight if you want.

I have enough cash to buy the live rock but not any fish lol.

Should I put the rock in First? I just dont want to stress them out and more then they will be. In that case I'll pick em up Sunday

What type of damsel?

Last edited:

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Marrone I haven't been doing this a long time but one of the first things I did learn is when anything is added to any tank the bioload is changed and the tank has to compensate by going through a cycle. I don't care if you use Cycle, Nitrex, Prime or Nutriseawater it's is a fact. If you read my post I said smaller cycle. Not an entire cycle.

1+1+1+1+1=5 no?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
The tank load may change when you add stuff but that doesn't mean a tank will go through a new cycle or even a small one. It all depends on how long the tank has been running and how well the bacteria is built up. Yes ammonia will increase but if the bacteria is able to handle it you wouldn't see any change in the tank.

Nitrex works to covert any excess ammonia, nitrites over into nitrates so any increase in bio load in your tank the Nitrex will tank care of.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: