Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Most reefers will tell you that RODI is one of the key factors behind a successful reef system. There are elements present in tap water that will fuel uncontrollable growth rates of algae. People with FOWLR do not depend on the intensity of lights and maybe they can get by with purified water or plain tap.
There are also many known and unknown things in tap water that are naturally present or added that will not affect people yet they will have a negative affect on your system. Chlorine or fluoride are two that come to mind.
This unpredictable nature of these elements will affect your tank and that is what you will remove from the equation by using RODI.

How important is that to you?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Most reefers will tell you that RODI is one of the key factors behind a successful reef system. There are elements present in tap water that will fuel uncontrollable growth rates of algae. People with FOWLR do not depend on the intensity of lights and maybe they can get by with purified water or plain tap.
There are also many known and unknown things in tap water that are naturally present or added that will not affect people yet they will have a negative affect on your system. Chlorine or fluoride are two that come to mind.
This unpredictable nature of these elements will affect your tank and that is what you will remove from the equation by using RODI.

+1 RO/DI water is the way to go and first step to a succesful tank. The difference between RO and RO?DI water is that RO/DI filter has a DI (deionization) stage that takes all inpurities from the water, including minerals and metals. That is why deionized water is not recommended for drinking while being the best solution for mixing saltwater as you start with water that has absolutely nothing in it.

andylee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I agree with all of the above. RODI removes toxins (as your purification system might), but not minor contaminants. These minor contaminants like nitrate, phosphate lead to major problems like hair algae.
I think that RODI water might be as important as lighting and water movement for your tank (in other words, very important).

CoralMeister

The Flying Reefer
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Here's the deal with water. Depends on what you want to keep. Personally I will use my examples. Before I turned my 75 into a mixed reef, I was only softie and LPS. I only used a drinking water filter with RO only. I can say the corals grew and thrived like crazy. Softies and LPS LOVE dirty water. Dirty in the sense that is nutritionally rich in elements.
Now if you wanna keep SPS, RO/DI is the only way to succeed. SPS hate nutrients and need everything to be at 0. Except all trace elements of course.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0

Can't really say it better..

I will add that my tank changed significantly for the better when I switched over to RO/DI water as opposed to tap water.. nuisance algae just seems to grow A LOT more without using an RO/DI system.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks everyone!
I hope to move to RO water as my tank matures, it is clearly the most recommended.
I prompted the discussion because I haven't been able to find a place that sells this type of water. Due to the hot weather in NYC I find myself topping off my tank frequently so I am worried it could get expensive for me. I seen a few guys on YouTube have RO filter systems installed in their homes. Doing that doesn't seem practical for me cuz I only have a 46gal. Tank.

Can anyone suggest a place that sells RO Water in NYC?

Thanks again!

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I would suggest ordering an RO/DI unit from a place like bulk reef supply. You can buy an excellent system for $100 or so. It will more than pay for itself in the long run.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Thanks everyone!
I hope to move to RO water as my tank matures, it is clearly the most recommended.
I prompted the discussion because I haven't been able to find a place that sells this type of water. Due to the hot weather in NYC I find myself topping off my tank frequently so I am worried it could get expensive for me. I seen a few guys on YouTube have RO filter systems installed in their homes. Doing that doesn't seem practical for me cuz I only have a 46gal. Tank.

Can anyone suggest a place that sells RO Water in NYC?

Thanks again!

Why would it not seem practical? If you can store a bucket, an RO filter system isn't much bigger. It doesn't need to be installed permanently, you can disconnect it when not in use and put it away. Carrying 5-10 gallons a week for top off and water change can get pretty heavy after carrying it 1 block, especially if you live in an apt with no elevator, and you're carrying it home from the store (most city dwellers don't have cars)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: