Rating - 100%
30   0   0
So I just started up a ~12 gallon AIO tank. I have fresh water in there circulating for now. Yesterday I turned on the return pump for the first time and put it on the lowest setting. It seemed to be working just fine for a couple of hours, however, after about 4 hours I noticed that the water level in the chamber with the return pump went down about 1/4". I'm not sure where that water went, but am a little wary to leave it on all night if I don't know what's going on. Can someone help me out?

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
It seems that you are worrying about a leak???? inspect the tank to make sure that there is no water on the exterior anywhere.

I agree that it is probably just evaporation, do you have a heater going also? What is water temp?

If you really want to check, make sure that you are not heating the water, and then take plastic wrap and cover the top of the tank to make sure that you dont lose any water by evap. Now that is crazy to do honestly, but if you really want to be sure then you can try it.

But if you have the tank at about 80 degrees, 1/4 in just the return section is without a doubt evap....

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I don't have the heater going right now, so the water is room temperature. Also, since I am in the midst of a leak test I have paper underneath the tank to show any water leakage. There are no water drops or anything on the paper, so it appears to not have any leaks.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Ok. You all have alleviated my fears about this. I will be emptying the tank of the freshwater tonight and putting the salwater, rocks, sand in there. Thanks for all the help.

By the way, won't rapid evaporation like this have a negative effect on my corals because of changes in salinity?

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Ok. You all have alleviated my fears about this. I will be emptying the tank of the freshwater tonight and putting the salwater, rocks, sand in there. Thanks for all the help.

By the way, won't rapid evaporation like this have a negative effect on my corals because of changes in salinity?

Yes it can have a negative effect, but more important initially is the water level in the return section going below your pump and the pump running dry. As you know most people in the hobby recommend running a large system for stability reasons. You are experiencing first hand one of those reasons. A large system can handle bigger swings. In your situation I would HIGHLY recommend an auto top off. If you leave your system for one or even two days (just a weekend away from home) your water level in the return section could possibly dry up. An ATO will alleviate this concern.

R

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Since you are also starting new, what kind of water do you plan on using?? I would really recommend using RO water. Especially if you can start with it. Tap water will have stuff in it that will leech into the rocks and then eventually back out.

RO is a very important thing, IMO, especially in a nano, since levels can swing very fast.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Its either just evaporation...or it was a air pocket in the tubing. My AIO 28 loses about a gallon every 3 days..

Sometimes when I shut the pumps off.. the pump will develop an air pocket in it. When its turned back on the pump blows a bubble of air out and the water level drops.

As someone else said...look around the tank. Youll spot the leak if there is one.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: