shmibly

True Maggot
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chaeto keeps turning white and dying off. I have the lights on an opposite 12 hour schedule from the dt. I have a 6 inch dsb and 1 inch of mud in my fuge. I have 2 clowns 1 yellow tang and a golden headed sleeper goby.
Any ideas?

Thanks

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
My chaeto keeps turning white and dying off. I have the lights on an opposite 12 hour schedule from the dt. I have a 6 inch dsb and 1 inch of mud in my fuge. I have 2 clowns 1 yellow tang and a golden headed sleeper goby.
Any ideas?

Thanks

What kind light your using on your refuge? its recommend to use a 6500k bulb. Also from what time you have your refuge lights on and off? I have my refuge lights on for 10 hours a day and my cheato is growing well too. Maybe try doing 10 hours a day instead of 12. But course the refuge light would have to be on at night time till morning.

Last edited:

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Any ideas?

Thanks

A lot of people can't grow chaeto. Remember you need nutrients to grow chaeto if the nutrients are not there then it won't grow. Try to leave the lights on longer maybe. Try a new bulb, what kind are you using now?.

I just use a bulb from homedepot

4a698975-9f65-e5d5.jpg

4a698975-9f91-f163.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
My problem is I can't make it stop growing.
Yes you need proper lighting... anything around the 5-6k mark will be suffice. If you have a new tank with very little bioload it will be very tough to get it growing from the start.
Now I'm not telling you to run out and get hundreds of fish so that it can grow, but you do need nutrients for chaeto to feed from.

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
My cheato wanst growing and I just figured out my Apex was set to turn my fuge light off to preven over heating if the temp got up to 79.5.:banghead:
Needles to say its summer time and my averag temp is 79.3 to 80.3 lights wher only on a few hours in the day:banghead:

I hooked up a fan to my apex over my sump to keep the temp in check ;)
My lights are on now lol

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
All it needs as mentioned is nutriants, light and flow...I couldn't keep it alive either and I had the lighting and plenty of nutriants....LOL...until I went to Hawaii and saw sofa sized chaeto just tumbling and floating around....I increased the flow and now it grows like crazy.....

shmibly

True Maggot
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6500k cfl in my fuge. I even drilled my sump to get more flow so i have plenty of that.....I guess its the bio load then. I only have a few fish and 2 small corals. My skimmer also picks up very light green watery skimmate so i guess thats a testament to my bioload. I guess as i add ill see what happens. Thanks guys

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
How old is your tank? I couldn't keep macros alive until 6 months in. Like everyone said above, you need nutrients in your tank. With your small bio-load, you dont have enough nutrients to support the macros yet. You should see an improvement in growth once you start adding more livestock. Just remember to go slow adding the livestock so you don't overload your bio-filter.

zeroblake07

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of nutrients should i have to use to keep green and growing my halimeda , because since than i get it , it start to lost the color and turning white i had it in the bottom of my aquarium and then y put it in to the higher place to give it more light and this plant start to gain more color , but not enought to keep it green, i'm trying to change my lights , to a LED PAR 38 , but i don't know yet , but if a could keep my macro algae good with this light i would keep it. Just i want to know what could i have to help to my plants..!! Thanks everyone

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
What type of nutrients should i have to use to keep green and growing my halimeda , because since than i get it , it start to lost the color and turning white i had it in the bottom of my aquarium and then y put it in to the higher place to give it more light and this plant start to gain more color , but not enought to keep it green, i'm trying to change my lights , to a LED PAR 38 , but i don't know yet , but if a could keep my macro algae good with this light i would keep it. Just i want to know what could i have to help to my plants..!! Thanks everyone
You need alot of calcium to keep Halimeda

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Test your tanks for nutrients the best you can. Trates, P04 if they are high then I would certainly look to why the macro isn't growing, if they are low be thankful and move on to the next issue.LOL This hobby has a cache of issues to deal with.;)
Those with macro algae make sure you stay on top of it. You do not want it dumping those nasty nutrients back in to your water column...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: