Fgtank

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing a 120 gal. Reef tank. Is a30-40 gal. Sump good for that size tank? The sump is in the room below, the return pump has to pump the water up 10 feet, should I go with one large pump or two smaller ones? What brands should I check out, would I be better off with an external one than a submersible one? Looking at protein skimmers, bubble Magnus, reef octopus, eshopps 300, any thoughts? Also should I use a uv light, I hear different things about it,some use it some don't, and some say they keep it on 12 hrs?? Thanks !

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am doing a 120 gal. Reef tank. Is a30-40 gal. Sump good for that size tank? The sump is in the room below, the return pump has to pump the water up 10 feet, should I go with one large pump or two smaller ones? What brands should I check out, would I be better off with an external one than a submersible one? Looking at protein skimmers, bubble Magnus, reef octopus, eshopps 300, any thoughts? Also should I use a uv light, I hear different things about it,some use it some don't, and some say they keep it on 12 hrs?? Thanks !

Sorry I'm not much help but want to tag along :)

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
The largest sump would be best, but yes 30 or 40 gal. will do. I have a 30 acrylic sump in my 155 gal.'s stand.
I'm not much help on pressure rated pumps. Both external & internal pumps have their benefits as well as draw backs. Internal pumps will heat the water in the sump (some more then others). I run both external Iwaki WMD 40 RLT, and internal Eheim 1262. I have no complaints on either, and I run both because if one fails the other will keep the water moving.;)
Skimmers: I've had the lower end ones such as Tuboflotor 1000 Multi extremely versatile; hang on, in sump, external. Loved this skimmer use to pull really nasty dark skimmate ALL the time.
Next I had a Euro-Reef RS 80 given to me by a friend - insump, great little skimmer, rated for up to 80 gal., and I was running it on my 155 gal. Did really well, unfortunately I accidentally cracked it.
I ran a BM 250 on the same tank for a year, and was never able to get it to skim. It even has a small hard foam that the pump sits on. No more supporting the skimmers pump.:)
Now I am running a Eshopps PSK 200 GEN II, LOVE IT. So easy to put together, easy to dial in, and it's going to be a breeze to clean inside & out. Less then a week, and it also is pulling some nasty dark green skimmate already.
Before you purchase the 300 if you decide to go the Eshopps way email Eshopps, or Premium Aquatics. I had questions whether to get the 300 or the 200. There was a great sale on the 300, but the footprint was a bit large. In any case I was told the 200 would be better for my set up. I was also told the 300 had/has the same pump as the 200.;) Check in to that.. I got mine from PremiumAquatics.com. Great prices, Phenomenal customer service......
Fastest shipping ever.;)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: