nyprdr

New Addict
Rating - 50%
3   3   0
OK.. I have a 125gal tank and I have a 72" light fixture with 3 400w metal halides and 2 actinic t5ho bulbs. So far I've only used the t5's. Every time I leave the halides on my tank temperature rises rapidly. My question is do just wait until I get a chiller like I plan to do or is there another way to remedy this. Should I hang the light instead of using the brackets and if so how far should it be from my tank.. I also keep them off cause 2 of the halides are missing the splash guards and i heard water hitting them could make them crack.. I plan on getting the guards I just don't know where to get them and haven't really looked. Also electricity usage is not an issue since I get it free.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
OK.. I have a 125gal tank and I have a 72" light fixture with 3 400w metal halides and 2 actinic t5ho bulbs. So far I've only used the t5's. Every time I leave the halides on my tank temperature rises rapidly. My question is do just wait until I get a chiller like I plan to do or is there another way to remedy this. Should I hang the light instead of using the brackets and if so how far should it be from my tank.. I also keep them off cause 2 of the halides are missing the splash guards and i heard water hitting them could make them crack.. I plan on getting the guards I just don't know where to get them and haven't really looked. Also electricity usage is not an issue since I get it free.

If electricity is not an issue then go with a chiller. Otherwise I'd say switch to LED's. Also try suspending the fixture above the tank, 10-12 inches above the water level. Hope this helps.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: