Rating - 100%
97   0   0
IME, the whole Ctenochaetus genus can be fussy at first. I have had the most success with them in a barebottom QT that has been running for a while preferably with algae growing on the sides and bottom. They will usually NOT take to prepared foods very well easily and usually takes 2-6 weeks for them to really take to prepared foods the way we'd like them to (and yes there are exceptions.)

In a barebottom tank where they're constantly picking at the algae, if you put in some prepared foods in small pieces (including chopped up nori) they will eventually pick up food off of the glass floor while picking at algae off of the fbarebottome floor and usually take a liking to it. Once they start taking even 1 type of prepared food, the odds are now in your favor. Kole tangs, Bristletooth tangs and Chevrons are all in the same genus. I say 2-6 weeks because they may take to nori or mysis first and take the longest time to take to pellet however I've lucked out and had some that took to everything from day one but usually they are much larger specimens and not juvies.

Best of luck on your next try if you decide to attempt it again. I know it sucks but next time I'm sure you'll do better.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: