AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I found this plumbing diagram online for a tank with corner overflows.

I was wondering what everyone thought of it? Is it a good design? Missing anything? Would you change anything? Do you have a better diagram?

Thanks for the feedback.

Attachments

• Corner Overflow Plumbing Design JPG.jpg
    Corner Overflow Plumbing Design JPG.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 168

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
It really all depends on what you are doing with the tank.
That is a simple design that just implements drain and return.

You need to keep in mind of any other equipment that you will be running in the system itself, ie if you were planning on utilizing your return pump to also feed any media reactors, therefore you would also need to design a manifold to utilize the pump.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Thanks for the input guys. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the plumbing and sump design and i was happy just to be able to find this simple design for the kind of tank i wanna set up.

I wanna have my protein skimmer in the sump but to be honest, I have no idea how to use the reactors or what they do because i haven't come to that point in my research just yet. I just had to look up what a manifold was lol.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Reactors aren't necessary, and it all depends on what you are keeping and on how you maintain your tank. I personally only use a media reactor and that is for carbon that I run once in awhile. Maybe twice a year for a month. Everything else is dosed or added directly to the tank. But since I have been using esv salti rarely have to dose if I keep up on my water changes.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Thanks Jaa. I would like to set up a 125 to 150 gallon glass, six-foot tank, corner overflows, with beginner-type fish, inverts and live rock.

I plan on building my stand(trying to anyway) and having all my gear in the sump.

I'm nearing the end of my research phase and am about to start building my stand as soon as i settle on a tank.

My next issue is deciding on what protein skimmer, RODI unit and pump to purchase.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
The valves are fine as seen in the diagram, as long as you don't use the intake valve to throttle back flow, otherwise if you ever need to replace your pump you will need to drain a portion of your sump since there is no valve to shut off the flow. When I use to run external pumps they always had two valves like that. Pumps always ran fine and I always got the expected life out of the pumps.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Thanks Jaa. I would like to set up a 125 to 150 gallon glass, six-foot tank, corner overflows, with beginner-type fish, inverts and live rock.

I plan on building my stand(trying to anyway) and having all my gear in the sump.

I'm nearing the end of my research phase and am about to start building my stand as soon as i settle on a tank.

My next issue is deciding on what protein skimmer, RODI unit and pump to purchase.
There are a lot of skimmers to chose from. I prefer reef octopus over other brands. Never had a problem with all of my years running them, doesn't mean they are the best but there is a reason so many people have them. I also go a little bigger than manufactures recommendation. I will be running a 200 gallon skimmer on my 120. Just for instance, my other tanks all have larger skimmers than tank size. As for pump, on that tank size you could get away with an internal pump, so no need for that first valve. An Ehiem 1262 would work. I believe the quiet one pumps are available in the size you need as well, never used one but many people like them. You would have to research that one.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Would you all use the vinyl tubing as shown in the diagram or would you replace it with hard PVC?

Jaa, thanks for the input, i will definitely check out the octopus but i was leaning towards an external pump... do you think the submersibles are better? the pump and skimmer are areas where i wanna get the best equipment possible.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I prefer PVC, I used the tubing once I just prefer the PVC better. I can run it exactly where I want it and I don't have to worry about the hose which I feel is more fragile. As for internal or external I have always gone by the size and needs of the tank, internals are only so big and can only perform well up to a certain sized tank. I'm not sure how big some companies are building their internal pumps as far GPH, but I always use Ehiem anyways and I know the 1262 is their largest internal. For me anything over a 150 gets an external for how I run my systems.

fishome25

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I recommend you make two changes. spend a little more and put a true union ball valve before and after the pump. You will thank yourself when its time for maintenance on the pump.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
The valve on the inlet side of the pump should be fully open all the time unless you are servicing the pump. Never restrict flow on the inlet side, you can on the output side of most aquarium pumps.

The most glaring thing I see here are the returns back to the tank are not the same length. The right hand return is much shorter and has little restriction where the left hand return has a 90deg and more tubing. This will result in far more flow on the right and little on the left.
I would center the WYE fitting on the return plumbing and make the plumbing and fittings as symmetrical as possible to distribute flow back to the tank equal over the two returns.

JMO

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: