chefsreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my new 125 gallon reef rdy tank just had a leak. someone me maybe i had to much rock and sand in it. i really want to know what is too much and if i go forward what can i do so it wont happn again. the tank is not even a year old.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I doubt it was the sand and rock amount. A 125 would have 140lbs of sand and 200lbs of rock if i stocked it. Maybe the tank wasnt level? I would start there. I had a 65 leak but not from the bottom but from the lowest point of 2 side panels.

chefsreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a 125 reef ready Aqueon tank . i have 2 try and check my self but i was told it was in the front bottom corner. i lost count but i can try and say i had 130 pound sand and maybe the same in rock.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Doubt it was the rock or sand...unless you literally dropped in the rock and cracked something or physically disturbed the silicone.

I would go with an uneven tank putting stress on one side of the tank or perhaps a manufacturer or shipping defect.

How long after set up did it start leaking? Was it definitely leaking from the silicone? Perhaps an overflow or some equipment that is hanging on the tank is leaking??

chefsreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubt it was the rock or sand...unless you literally dropped in the rock and cracked something or physically disturbed the silicone.

I would go with an uneven tank putting stress on one side of the tank or perhaps a manufacturer or shipping defect.

How long after set up did it start leaking? Was it definitely leaking from the silicone? Perhaps an overflow or some equipment that is hanging on the tank is leaking??
10 months. the tank is only 11 months old :(

nyprdr

New Addict
Rating - 50%
3   3   0
I have a 12 year old 125 gal that hasn't been level for almost 6 years(floor is sinking beneath it) now. it has about 200lbs of rock and 300lbs of sand.. so i doubt any of those things had to do with it leaking.. I'd say manufacturer defect. by the way i just took over this tank and it's coming to my house this weekend.. I wouldn't keep a tank unleveled (I know thats not a word) purposely.

Ariel110G

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I have a 12 year old 125 gal that hasn't been level for almost 6 years(floor is sinking beneath it) now. it has about 200lbs of rock and 300lbs of sand.. so i doubt any of those things had to do with it leaking.. I'd say manufacturer defect. by the way i just took over this tank and it's coming to my house this weekend.. I wouldn't keep a tank unleveled (I know thats not a word) purposely.

My 110 gallon not reef ready that is about 10 years old that I got from my sister-in-law & I have it up and running for the past 2 years is not leveled 100%. & I know it?s not a good thing, it?s one of my mistakes I did as a newbie. My tank has a nice amount of live rock & a deeps sandbed, & not leeks.
But soon I?m moving so I?ll make sure it?s leveled at my newplace.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: