8pixel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
168   0   0
I bought this system a while back and haven't had any issues...solid unit. I don't have any experience with other brands so I don't have anything to compare it to though. There are group buys on occasion on this board for BRS so you may be able to get this at a discount if you aren't in a hurry.

Good luck.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
I am thinking of getting this system: BRS 5 Stage PLUS RO/DI System - 75GPD http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-5-stage-plus-ro-di-system-75gpd.html and would like some feedback on it.

Any help would be appreciated as i am not looking to spend more than 200.00 max on a RO/DI system

IMO, RO Units should be purchased based on your water quality filtration needs. If you live in NYC, you likely have water coming from the Croton reservoir and is close to under 50 ppm TDS from tap. Many times, the age of your building pipes can increase that to as high as 200ppm TDS.

5 stages is a large unit for water that has a low TDS - especially that of NYC. Again, your building pipes have a good amount to do with overall TDS.

If I were you, I'd buy a $20 handheld TDS meter (if your in this hobby for the haul, you'll use it many times and will be a good $20 spent). I would test the TDS from where I figured I'd put the RO unit and decide from there.

I would say dollars to donuts, a 4 stage would do you fine in NYC - meaning it will have the output water at zero TDS. if you're looking to build a reef then zero TDS is a must. If you're looking to do fish only, you can get away with 35tds and be fine. Also consider your space limitations being in NYC. I would configure the 4 stages as follows:

1) 100 micron Sediment filter
2) .10 Chlorine Guzzler Carbon Block
3) RO Membrane
4) DI

If your building has a lot of sediment in the pipes, then a 50 micron 1st chamber then a 100 in chamber 2 would be best to save the life of your filters. You can always add that first chamber on with the additional coarser sediment filter in the future.

Some things to consider - LMK if you have any other questions.

House

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: