AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I am considering buying a 125 gallon tank with stand, canopy and Iwaki 55rlt.

I spoke to the seller and he happened to mention that he had contracted mycobacterium Marinum (fish TB) and nearly lost a finger. He attributed it to having a deep sandbed and advised me against it.

I didnt think anything of it at first but when I did some research, it seems that this is a very strong disease that may remain even after you break down your tank. I also read that Calcium Hypochlorite should be used to disinfect the tank but even that solution didnt sound like a guaranteed fix.

I'm in need of some strong advice here. Would you still buy this tank? Is fish TB something that every aquarist lives with to some degree?

Your advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

sig45

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
M.marinum is pretty rare and usually just isolated to skin. If left untreated can become most severe. Most cases are from tank maintenance(JAMA 2002).
You could treat the tank with tetracycline but would probably cost more than tanks worth. I'd pass and find a clean tank in budget.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Thanks JC. I'm leaning in that direction but I wanted to hear as many opinions as possible before making my final decision.

Sucks because its a nice looking tank and the seller seems like a nice guy but I'm not sure its worth the risk.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
My reasoning behind not getting a 125 and the one you are looking at would be a no-no just for what you explained. But as well as the width of the 125, it is a little slimmer t
And makes things look crowded.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Yea they are, for so,e reason I was thinking of a 150 tall in my head, most likely because I'm setting up a 120 and the 150 tall is the same footprint just taller.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Everyone,

Here's a reply i got on another forum. Just curious what you all think.

Mycobacterium marinum
- it's in most of our tanks. I've had the granuloma form due to vermetid snail punctures while working in the tank.

If you're just getting the tank, then a good bleach bath will take care of the bacteria. If you're getting the contents, I wouldn't worry about it. Really. There isn't a test to see if a tank is infected, and every piece of live rock, every fish, and every coral is a potential source of the bacteria. Keep a tank long enough, and it will be in there.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: