JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Homemade is always the best. You can use any type of wood for the sheeting that you prefer the look of and can build it to your own specs and have access panels where you want them not where the company put them forcing you to arrange your stuff according to their plan.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
pine is a softer weaker wood and if not stained and treated properly it will fall apart but its cheaper. Oak is a lot stronger and can handle salt water better but its alot more money. I personally would go with oak.

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
The ability of pine or oak to withstand saltwater is really what you seal it with not the wood itself. Oak is stronger but there are thousands of stands that are 15+ years old still going strong. I'm finishing up this 40br canopy and stand. If you need any help or questions let me know.
6azyzehy.jpg
eqasupav.jpg

This is the frame. Made from trimmed and planed 2x4's
4y6u8ezu.jpg

6y9ubuty.jpg

Glue and a pocket screw jig will help tremendously. This stand could easily hold a 150 weight wise.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Sharp looking stand

I'm not a diy guy either but have built stands before and it isn't that complicated, unless you make it complicated. Fishandtips.com has easy to follow instructions Jimmy is right, you can make it to your size needs, and is almost always stronger! Lots of great builds here. If you look at pics above you can prob just follow along. Gl!

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
It really depends if your getting a stand made of solid pine and oak or something thats sheathed in oak or pine veneer and all the construction and filler material is flakeboard or ply. You want stuff not made out of flake so spend the extra $$ on solid wood doors and ply/solid construction.

Going pine or oak really depends on the look. When these stands are built they are built to hold up the specified tank size regardless of material. If you want oak or pine really depends on you.

For those interested in how well each wood holds up with moisture and heat from lights and equipment, Oak and pine both expand about the same, pine gets very porous and spongy while oak tends to hold better. The main difference is that when oak starts to dry it tends to bow and warp quicker than pine would and with more force.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: