Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help! I've got some strange white stuff growing in my tank. I don't know what it is but it came out of no where and is growing under my acans and on my live rock. I also noticed that it seems to be affecting the coraline on the live rock. Please help identify and suggest a solution, if one is needed.

Thanks,
Edmund

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics

Here are some pics... Please help identify...

Attachments

• DSC04245.jpg
    DSC04245.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC04246.jpg
    DSC04246.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC04249.jpg
    DSC04249.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 172
  • DSC04251.jpg
    DSC04251.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC04252.jpg
    DSC04252.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC04253.jpg
    DSC04253.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 166

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Those are sponges.
that said..there are some sponges that are more invasive than others, though most just happily grow on the underside (read dark) portion of your rock and are fine as they are filter feeders and are a benefit to the tank..as long as you don't have too many.

The ones that are growing into the zoa colony could be a problem. You might want to do a couple of things..take the rock out of the water (the zoas will be fine while you do this), and try and peel the sponge away from the zoas. Do it outside of the tank. You might also want to frag a portion of that zoa - away from where the sponge is growing - just in case it comes back and you lose the colony. I would not put the rock back where it will be leaning against other rock in the tank until you get it totally under control.

btw - in your 4th pic you have aiptasia growing, you will want to attend to that promptly before it gets put of control :(

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Kathy,

Yes, I know about the aiptasia and they are an ongoing battle. I'm also battling hair algae although my water is testing out very well. Zero Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Ph-8.1, temp is steady at 77. I just picked up a yellow tang yesterday hoping that he will eat some of it. Any suggestions?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: