RAYS REEF

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Hello guys

..hurricane sandy hits us new Yorkers hard.my system had a bad crash,lost everything. :-(...five years in the making ,gone to the stupid hurricane.I have a 90 gallon display tank and a 40 breeder sump/refugium.lots of my coral died off and polluting my water causing other coral to die,it was a mess.after our power was restored, I got to work on my tank,draining all water,throwing out what was left of the died Corals,threw away all sand and even cleaning off the liverock.I am still getting things back together.I can't image how I am going to start all over again,so much stuff I had for years ,is now gone,,,sucks,but IM not giving up just yet,love the hobby to much.little by little,I'll get back there.was thinking of going another route though this time....I will be posting some before and after pics soon..

Last edited by a moderator:

RAYS REEF

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Here's what it use to look like before the hurricane :-(

Attachments

• IMAG0009.jpg
    IMAG0009.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 271

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
May I suggest that you make a generator your first purchase.;-)

I also lost my 2 tanks. A 155 gal bow front mixed reef, and a 20 gal. anemones tank!
Before I set my tanks back up I will make a generator my first purchase. These animals depend on us, therefor I will do everything within my power to keep them safe!;)

Sorry, I just realized you live in manhattan.:( Is there another way to insure your tank never looses power?

Last edited:

greengny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
Yech!

Sorry to hear about your loss Ray. Your tank was a beauty. I'm in the same situation. Lost 90% of my corals but manged to save my fish. I'm not as enthusiastic as you are about starting over, again. May just need to exist with my 20 gal office nano. If I do restart though, it won't be without some way to ensure survival of the tank during these extreme mother nature events. Good luck to you. John

henrystyle

Bad Mutha Shut Your mouth
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Lost both my 120g and 30g. Both tanks now cycling again.. I did just pick a generator. I should have had one from before. Procrastination on my part... Like Awi said, these tanks are all on life support. No power = death.

greengny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
Hey Ray, I'm on the North shore of LI. We didnt have the bad flooding that our south shore neighbors had, just power and tree damage. My power was out for 9 days. Many folks are still out. I was able to keep my 104g tank going with battery air pumps but the tank just got too cold. Made an aborted attempt to move rock, corals and fish to my office building but the rock started to cycle. Was able to save 7 out of 8 fish. Sold a few, gave a few away, kept 2. So I think I'll just stick with 20g office nano until the rock re-cycle's and then I'll decide if I want to continue. Many many folks are still suffering the effects of this storm, so I consider myself quite fortunate that I still have my home, but losing the tank and occupants just blows......

Good luck to you with your rebuild. John

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: