ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
Those levels seem fine. As far as the high calcium it can be corrected two ways; either water change or let tank consume the calcium. Your ph is good. Trust me do not chase your ph. The ph will stabilize once your parameters are stable. The main three to watch out for are alk,mag,calcium. When these are consistent and controlled with out Much swing the ph will be good. A ph of 8.0 is good though.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Hey,

What salt are you using and what are you running your reef's salinity at?

Are you currently dosing? Daily? Or just when you need to get levels in range? (Important question) or just water changing?

Your a mixed reef right? (I forget what you said)

8 alk is ok for a mixed reef but theoretically your calcium should not be that high with an alk of 8.

What test kits are you using?

If your running an Sps tank and
If your not automatic dosing or running a calcium reactor you should raise that alk. With a mixed reef with sps or a Sps dominated tank you can easily swing into an unacceptable/unwanted range from additions or a simple growth spurt if your not ontop of testing or accurately understand your tanks consumption.

Personally if your dosing, stop dosing cal for a few days and continue with alk dosages until your cal comes down and your alk raises. try to shoot for the 9/430 or 10 / 450 range.

If you don't dose you can do a series of small water changes like mentions above said so you can obtain a better balance.

Last edited:

ChrisB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Hey,

What salt are you using and what are you running your reef's salinity at?

Are you currently dosing? Daily? Or just when you need to get levels in range? (Important question) or just water changing?

Your a mixed reef right? (I forget what you said)

8 alk is ok for a mixed reef but theoretically your calcium should not be that high with an alk of 8.

What test kits are you using?

If your running an Sps tank and
If your not automatic dosing or running a calcium reactor you should raise that alk. With a mixed reef with sps or a Sps dominated tank you can easily swing into an unacceptable/unwanted range from additions or a simple growth spurt if your not ontop of testing or accurately understand your tanks consumption.

Personally if your dosing, stop dosing cal for a few days and continue with alk dosages until your cal comes down and your alk raises. try to shoot for the 9/430 or 10 / 450 range.

If you don't dose you can do a series of small water changes like mentions above said so you can obtain a better balance.

I was using Tropic Marin Bio Actif, I just changed to Esv about 10 gallons used so far my Salinty is 1026. I was dosing everyother day alk and not as much calc. my mag I think is either 990 or 1020 with salifert kit That I hate. and alk,calc and phos I use Hannah checkers.I also do a 5 gallon change once a week. When you get a chance it wouldcool if you can come and check it out . Thanks again .

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
Ok now I under stand going on. I have has the Hannah checkers. The only reliable one is the phosphate. In my experience the alkalinity reads low and the calcium reads very high. I bet if you confirmed your test results against a friends test you may discover a significant difference. Hope that helps

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: