fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
If you want to cycle the tank right, dont use any additives. Get your rock and sand in the tank, mid up water and get circulation in there. Usr a cocktail shrimp in a mesh bag and hang it by the powerhead.for a.couple of days to jump start your ammonia. Keep an eye on ammonia levels by testing. Once they fall off ,test for nitrites. When they hit 0 ,do a 20%-30% water change. At this point you can add a fish or small clean up crew. You will still go thrush stages like diatom blooms,algae, and cyano. Good luck and happy reefing;)

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I like adding bacteria to my tanks to help build up bacteria with live Rocks. Never had problem. Just follow direction and go slow and you will see that your system will handle it. Never had trouble and never went through green and red cyano outbreaks. Today big improvement on adding bacteria in bottle. Never add all the fish in one time.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Just remember that a completed cycle does not mean your tank can handle everything. It simply means that it has the bacteria needed for the cycle. It still takes time for a tank to mature and handle larger loads. So go slowly and give your tank time to adjust to heavier bio loads.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Also remember, you don't see the aftermath of what happens in tanks that ATM does. The way they build a tank and add fishes like that on the same day is a crime if you ask me. It that's just my small opinion.

Do it right, cycle your tank- and no there is no definite answer on how long it will take. It'll take as long as it takes.

Test everyday and when you with your own eyes see the cycle happen and complete the chain of events:

1-will have an ammonia spike
2-will see nitrite come into the picture
3-ammonia will start to diminish
4-will show nitrite with nitrate without ammonia
5-will wind up with nitrates without ammonia or nitrites your cycle is complete.

Then you can safely start adding your livestock slowly. 1 fish at a time and you need to let the filtration catch up to the bioload before adding more.

Last edited:

frankieboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys. When I setup my tank with all equipment lighting going to cycle tank right. When it is ready want to start with chromas, then other fish that are compatible. I feel if you rush things then you will lose money spent on fishes, equipments to. So going slow is safe road to go on thanks for ad ice opinions.

Sent from my PG86100 using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: