frankieboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi can't decide still on tank type. Reef ready or regular tank. What are the important equipment to have. I want t5 mh lighting but want to save on electricity want a lighting that is popular out there. One that u can install other canopy. Anyone can give me advice opinions. So I can plan a good setup not have lousy tank something good and well spent to start hobby out right. Also planning to check out www.manhattanaquarium.com cause buying online ant good for me to much issues with ups.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Reef ready is the best way to go. With overflows put on a regular tank there are a lot of little mistakes that can be made between not having syphon breaks and such that can result in flooding if the power goes out.

You're not going to save on electricity if you use MH with T5 supplementation but you'll be able to grow anything you want with them. LED's also have come a long way with PAR values penetrating to the bottom of the tanks.

When you go with a reef ready tank you can set up really nice sump/refugium to suit your needs and can either design and baffle one yourself or there are many options with store bought sumps that work well too.

I'd say the single most important piece of equipment to aid in keeping a healthy tank for beginners is a good quality protein skimmer.

Good luck.

frankieboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone all your advice opinions helping me out. I know hobby will cost but I love fish and it relaxes you. Cause I bin freshwater for 15 years. Owned a 35 gallon hexagon tank started leaking from the bottom. Found leak but cabinet stand got wet a swelled up so got ride of it. Color was cherry wood I even had breed pink convict in it, cichlids
Also housed other cichlids in it. Then i did gold fish, fan tails other kind all fishes I had lived long.. use a marineland canister filter magnum 350 , gph 100 capacity filtration. Not planning on using one in saltwater setup hear it spike nitrate. So my planning is slow and a lot of research and questions hear like to talk to people who bin in this hobby for years. Again thank you all for advice opinions.

P.s. bear with me if I ask question twice just want to set tank once but right.

frankieboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Astoria New York, so any nice lfs stores to go to in long island to buy equipments and tank is no problem for me have a car. I went to petwarehouse to visit. Once there was a store called aquariumadventure went out of buisness heard fishtown is no good evendoe there in flushing queens. Anyone has places the go go there stuff and fishes

P.s. I don't buy fish from a lfs stores tank if a dead fish is in tank andthere fishes look unhealthy.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: