5 sump filter sock refugium
6 lighting for sps lps coral mixed reef
7 float valve for ato
8 plumbing
9 container to store fresh top off water
10 a good power surge plug
11 timer for lights
12 testing kits and refactormeter

Researching what ill need so far when i purchase tank I know what equipment to have for setup. Anyone wants to add to list I might missed other important stuff needed, want to everything important used for this hobby. Thanks

Sent from my PG86100 using Reefs

al0ha

The Inked Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
i personally won't run a UV sterilizer cuz it can kill pods as they swim in the water. definitely add a RO/DI unit to your list. plus check your PM!

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i personally won't run a UV sterilizer cuz it can kill pods as they swim in the water. definitely add a RO/DI unit to your list. plus check your PM!

+1 on both points.

A good RODI unit should be one of the first things you buy unless you want crazy algae growth and a headache that lasts for months. Trust me.

andylee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
A bunch of miscellaneous stuff that will save trips to Home Depot or the local store at inconvenient times:

Extra buckets
A bunch of extra pumps for mixing water, transferring water
Extra heater for water changes
A water on the floor alarm (or two). I keep one by my tank and another by my RO
Consider a controller
Extra tubing for siphoning water
Instead of a surge protector, a ground fault circuit interrupter. Most of the stuff in the tank is not sensitive to minor power surges, but a short could kill the tank, fry your livestock, and maybe do both to you.
Also, in light of recent events, battery powered air pump and generator.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
+1 on power backup...I know you said you've been doing freshwater for a while and many people lost fw tanks too during this storm. Now you've got much higher temps and sensitivity and with corals you will have light requirements...watching peoples tanks here crashing was heart breaking. Makes sure you consider this!

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
if your LFS sells RODI water you can get away without a RODI unit depending on how much you go through, Mine charges me 80 something cents a gallon which fine for my 30gal setup. I know that list gets pricey real quick!

also, Eventually look into a controller. BRS has a good youtube video explaining that alot of money is spent on stuff like timers, surge protectors and what not, that all come with a good controller unit built in. You can save money later on by purchasing the right stuff now.

+1 on a few nano sized powerheads and extra heater or two for water changes. Go with a Titanium heater with built in thermometer over the glass ones.

Also, look into a simple quarantine setup for when you start adding fish and corals. Theres a TON of into on this subject so get to reading. its a huge risk to add livestock without QT'ing them first. another example of those extra powerheads and heaters going to use.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
+1 on a few extra pumps...you will need them for all kinds of things.

As far as controllers, they can get expensive...but long term it will benefit.

The most economical to me is reefangel.., you get two float switches, 8 outlet relay bar, ph probe, 1 temp probe (ports for up to 3!), two pwm ports (can control up to 8 led drivers...) and a graphical display.. for $219..

But if you add up the costs of other components...ATO kit $50, temp controller (to back up your heater thermostat) $50, timer/power strip $25, pH tester, additional timers, etc. etc.. You can see where spending the money up front can help.

The cons to this package is that it is open source and does require some programming knowledge to customize...default wizard does 99% of needs. The forum support is great and people will help you write your code and the owner of the company is on night and day and provides great service

The other options apex or reefkeeper which have small packages up to larger and are backed by a larger commercial company.

Do your research on these just like you are doing for everything else and make the best choice for you. This can warrant an entire thread or more!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: