GrayBunny

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fish only w/ live rock tank. I have a pair of clownfish in there and want to add an anemone. Is there any reason this would be a bad idea?

I have true perculas, is there a particular type of anemone that they prefer to host?

Last edited:

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
They say heteractis magnifica- which are ritteri nems but when I first got my clowns I couldn't find one. Mine were happy to have a RBTA. Just keep in mind that them being hosted is never a guarantee so if you're getting an anemone do it more because you like them and less because you want your clowns to have a home. They can do 100% fine for their entire life without one and never miss having one.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I have LED lights. Would those supply enough light?

I really want the anemone so that the clownfish are happy... I like how they look too, but I want to watch them interact with it.

You should be fine with your lighting then, but again you may put one in and the clowns may never give it a thought. Also you may put it in and they could take to it immediately. Mine took three weeks to host in mine. You can try feeding the fish right near the nem to get the fish to brush against it with no flow so the food falls directly to it. Once mine brushed against it finally they took to it but it again could never happen. Then you'll have a nem and clowns that chill everywhere but in it. Remember, they're living creatures with their own minds so anything is possible.

GrayBunny

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights provide 600 lumens. How do I know if that's strong enough?

Wow- That'd be crazy if I got it and they weren't interested! I had gotten a rubber anemone and the fish were definitely interested. I became worried after reading more that the plastic one might be bad for the tank and took it out after 3 days. It was made for aquariums, but I just got nervous.

Last edited:

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
If its a fixture or kit that's designed for a reef tank then you'll be fine. You can introduce one and if it wants strong light it will move to where its happy with both light and flow in the tank. I'm not super familiar with the whole lumen ratings thing. If your tank is a normal depth and the LEDs are supposed to be equal to what lets say 150w halides would be or better you'll be good to go.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
My lights provide 600 lumens. How do I know if that's strong enough?

Wow- That'd be crazy if I got it and they weren't interested! I had gotten a rubber anemone and the fish were definitely interested. I became worried after reading more that the plastic one might be bad for the tank and took it out after 3 days. It was made for aquariums, but I just got nervous.

I would have been more concerned with them scratching themselves on anything man made than anything else. If they were interested in that one then most likely they will be with the nem. BUT there is never a guarantee.

Give it a shot. Worse comes to worse you can rehome it. There are usually plenty of people looking for nems.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: