d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
if you want to try it without buying anything you can do the following:

assuming you have a filter sock available, syphon the algae from main tank into sock in sump that will clear most of it.

Decrease # of hours lights are on, if you can manage to lo leave off for a day or two it helps greatly.

small water changes for about a month and I was able to clear it.

I would also check that your tank temp is not over 78, when I allow my tank to slip past 78, I start to see manacing stuff happening.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Use Cyano Solution. Reef safe, and will knock out all cyano bacteria within 12-24 hours.
Used it, and haven't had cyano for years now.

All this proves is you have a great set up. I think everyone will agree there is no product that would eliminate it for months let alone years.
So if you have a good set up and then an outbreak of cyano then some of these products help kill the current outbreak and from then on you tank handles it well. But if you have an underlying problem then the product will just help for a short time and it will come right back.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
All of these "products" are short term bandaids at best. As basiab wrote, your system is doing well because you are doing a lot of other things right as far as nutrient export is concerned (or circulation)

Alfred

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Getting your water parameters in check is the only way to fix this permanently. Medications and additives are only quick fixes. No animals eat it the crabs and snails only churn the sand or eat particles on the sand and if the particles have cyano on it then the cyano is ingested. Several small water changes, increased circulation and proper husbandry is the fix. It will only return if you use quick fix measures.

bizzarro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean up crew are a hit or miss. I had astrea snails that ate most of my HA but now the current batch doesn't even come close to the cleaning those did (they died off from lack of food after eating it all). I'd avoid crabs, they don't really do much unless you are overfeeding the tank and just want something to eat it.

Try blasting your rocks and see if that frees up trapped detritus which can be causing the undesirable growth.

Rating - 100%
92   0   0
Getting your water parameters in check is the only way to fix this permanently. Medications and additives are only quick fixes. No animals eat it the crabs and snails only churn the sand or eat particles on the sand and if the particles have cyano on it then the cyano is ingested. Several small water changes, increased circulation and proper husbandry is the fix. It will only return if you use quick fix measures.

ive persobally witnessed my blue legs eating the thick red slimey cyano...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: