Gancoob

Newbie fishi-mon
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hi again. I have a 120 with a 29diy sump. I'm losing about 1/2 gallon a day. Not a terrible problem but the level in the sump is what drops. And it drops from where the return pump is. So at this point I have to add water daily or the return sucks in air and blows all sorts of air bubbles into my tank. It's really quite a pain in the rump! I wasn't looking for an expensive solution. Any advice is appreciated.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
The simplest option really is to buy an ATO device. Make sure to buy one that has a backup float sensor. The JBJ is a good unit as is the Tunze Osmolator.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Setup a water replenishing unit.

Simple right now solution is this:

Go to autotopoff.com and buy the $60 top off unit with back up sensor.

Buy 15 gallon rectangular Rubbermaid garbage can. Setup top off unit, fill can with water and you will not suffer from evaporation issues or carry another bucket of water ever again.

This will solve your problem instantly which will allow you to focus on how to hide your top off water container, maybe your tank is near a closet and you can put the can in the closet and run a hose through the wall? maybe you are handy and can build a hollow end table that matches your tank stand? or maybe simply put you dont mind seeing the top off can out in the open.

andylee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
That's the best way by far. You avoid having to manually add water each day. You avoid swings in salinity. You avoid bubbles in the display. You avoid the possibility of the pump running dry and burning out. You avoid the possibility of the display tank temp falling if the heated water from the sump isn't being pumped into the display.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PVC plumbing

add some pvc to your pump so it draws from the bottom. i have one pump on top of the other one with a pvc extention i made my self with pvc and an elbow with some pvc glue. It works great

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I have a really inexpensive wau off doing this. You buy a small pump, bucket and extension cord. Then you google "always closed electric switch " i bought 2 on ebay for $5 shipped. You cut the extension cords orange sheath to expose the white, green n black wires. Cut the white wire and tie in the switch. Mount the switch in your return chamber with a small piece of plexi or plastic at your water level. Place pump with hose in bucket of ro/DI water. Place other end of hose in sumptuous above the water line. If this end is submerged it will cause a siphone. MAKE SURE IT IS ABOVE THE WATER LINE. Thats it. Lmk if u need help. Im right around the corner :D

SIReefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
I also have a 120 gal DT w/a 25-30 gal sump. I use a JBJ ATO & have a 7.5 gal Mr Aqua tank as the reservoir. The Mr Aqua is small enough to keep inside the stand. Once a week Ill put in a 5 gal bucket of water in the reservoir. Couldnt be easier.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: