Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Try frozen cyclopeeze... mine also liked Brine shrimp, but I would soak them in a vitamin solution b/c they do not have a lot of nutrients by themselves..

SaltWaterN00b

\/\/h47 @ n00b !!!
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
One of the clowns died last night, im suspecting a bristleworm because it was wedge half way into a rock, I have a 6 line wrasse but doesnt seem to be getting the worms as i have just found 3 more.

What would be the best invert to catch em and still be safe for the fish?

I now have 1 Clown about 2" and a Wrasse about the same size.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
What was the clownfish eating before it died? Perhaps it died of other causes and the bristleworm was doing its job in cleaning up :scratch: Also, there's been numerous threads in this forum discussing removing bristleworms from a reef tank; it's not usually necessary.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
i don't know if a bristleworm could kill a fish... but a mantis could, have you heard any clicking coming from the tank?

My mantis has killed a clown goby, and loves my snails and hermits.

I do know that clowns tend to try and wedge themselves into a 'safe' place when they are sick- must be a defense mechanism. At least mine did before they died...

SaltWaterN00b

\/\/h47 @ n00b !!!
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Same size, from petland they did not eat they have been in the tank 3 days now (today) so i cant even bring it back. Im going to pick up different food today. Water quality is near where it should be only concern is the Ammonia is 1 color down from 0. The other clown kinda just hangs at the bottom all the time which i read is normal for the first few days. He seems more over the tank when the lights are out.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I think it may be a problem with the water dif from yours (good) to petlands (proll'y bad very bad quality) How did you acclimate them?

Also sometimes fish get stressed in the move and just die. Were these wild caught or tank bred fish?

SaltWaterN00b

\/\/h47 @ n00b !!!
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Chiefmcfuz said:
I think it may be a problem with the water dif from yours (good) to petlands (proll'y bad very bad quality) How did you acclimate them?

Also sometimes fish get stressed in the move and just die. Were these wild caught or tank bred fish?

I opened the bag and let it float for 30 mins for temp purposes, Then after the initial 30 mins i added 1 cup of water ever 15 mins for about 45 mins then scooped them out with a net and added them to the tank.

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
it could also have been the fact that they were both the same size. when placed in a new tank the may fight for dominance. i bought my first clowns when i got my rbta about a month ago. i bought a huge one and a tiny one. all three times i bought a small one, the female has been very receptive. i should state the first died because it was weak and the second because i forgot to put the strainer on the mj.

did they look and act differently in petland?

SaltWaterN00b

\/\/h47 @ n00b !!!
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
scarf_ace1981 said:
it could also have been the fact that they were both the same size. when placed in a new tank the may fight for dominance. i bought my first clowns when i got my rbta about a month ago. i bought a huge one and a tiny one. all three times i bought a small one, the female has been very receptive. i should state the first died because it was weak and the second because i forgot to put the strainer on the mj.

did they look and act differently in petland?

A little more active in petland, but not much.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
If you definately want a pair Dr Mac is offering a free Osc pair with orders of 200 I think, so tell the wife you are gonna order some clown fish from him and just order 200 worth of coral LOL then when the pair comes with the coral she's happy and so are you :)

SaltWaterN00b

\/\/h47 @ n00b !!!
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Chiefmcfuz said:
If you definately want a pair Dr Mac is offering a free Osc pair with orders of 200 I think, so tell the wife you are gonna order some clown fish from him and just order 200 worth of coral LOL then when the pair comes with the coral she's happy and so are you :)

LMAO if only i could, after picking up the light this weeken (hopefully) the skimmer and a pump im dead broke!

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Chiefmcfuz said:
The difference in the water quality from petlands crap water to your good water may have been too much for the lil guy.
smiley8_toxic.gif

I don't think having any detectable ammonia in a reef tank qualifies as good water.
:Thinking::Thinking:
Add the stress of living in Petland then being transferred doesn't help either.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: