frankieboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi what's size rock is good for a reef tank? What brand Fiji, or others. I want to get good rocks to make caves holes for fish to hide good aquascape, how much needed for a 150 gallon tank? Sand what brand is good and how many inches sand bed 2,3,4 inches is 4 inches to much planning on a good clean up crew any advice suggestions comments please I want to make this tank great looking and great setup. Thank you in advance

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I would do a 2" sandbed in your display and 4-6" in your fuge. 4 inches is too deep to have in your main tank.

For Fiji and other porous rocks 3/4-1lb per gallon is what's suggested but you don't have to stick to that exact to the T. For a 150 I would put anywhere from 90 pounds on up.

I used to stick to that rule to the ounce but had 0 ill effects going lighter with rock. Putting that amount unless you are an idiot savant with jigsaw puzzles most times will leave you with a glass box with a huge mass of almost solid rock wall. Once that happens you then wind up having lots of dead spots with no flow which in my eyes is way worse than having a bit less rock.

Rating - 100%
92   0   0
I would do a 2" sandbed in your display and 4-6" in your fuge. 4 inches is too deep to have in your main tank.

For Fiji and other porous rocks 3/4-1lb per gallon is what's suggested but you don't have to stick to that exact to the T. For a 150 I would put anywhere from 90 pounds on up.

I used to stick to that rule to the ounce but had 0 ill effects going lighter with rock. Putting that amount unless you are an idiot savant with jigsaw puzzles most times will leave you with a glass box with a huge mass of almost solid rock wall. Once that happens you then wind up having lots of dead spots with no flow which in my eyes is way worse than having a bit less rock.

the less rock the lower the bioload though, as long as you're not heavily stocking it'll be just fine but the more you stock the more biological filtration i would use

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: