frankieboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi what other test kits do I need for a reef. I know about API for ammonia nitrites nitrates ph, for calcium and other parameter what else do I test. reading book the reef aquarium volume 3, little lost with calcium exctra.

frankieboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys salifert it will be. Also when I setup tank going to start fowlr for a couple of months, can I still use salifert to test ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, ph cause I want to setup tank with very good equipment. Can I buy lighting one time, even doe I'm starting fowlr for a couple months, what do you guys suggest .

Reef_Paddy

Always Thinkering
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Yes, you can use the same test kits.

As for lighting, get your "reef" lighting from the beginning. The FOWLR are not as demanding on light but will save you in the long run buying a basic setup now and then upgrading when you start adding coral.

Reef_Paddy

Always Thinkering
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
That would all depend on the type of lighting you have planned, i.e. MH, T5's or LED. Each will have a different spread, and even manufacturers of the same type will advise spread for their units. Best post something in the lighting section and get a group response. I'd just tell you to go for LED's (with Radion Pro's (pre-order only available at present), AI Vega or GHL Mitras being my 3 preferred) I'll be getting ordering my GHL Mitras in about a month (I have a GHL Profilux controller so it all works together nicely) :)

fjpod

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use API. While you may not get exact numbers for your parameters, you can tell which direction your tank is going. Test periodically and you will learn when you see a change. I don't think the cost of other kits is worth it.

I've listened to more people with expensive kits on these forums...chasing their tails. But, to each, his own.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: