ChrisB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Has anyone ever had a peppermint shrimp eat stylophora? About a week ago, I put two peppermint shrimp in my tank to eat aptasia. They ate the aptasia within 20 mins of being in the tank which is great however, today I noticed one of my stylophora frags is about 80% gone and white. It was fine before I went to bed last night. I have 2 stylophora frags and 1 birdnest. Two of them are fine. All parameters are good. I'm trying to rule it out if it is the shrimp. If so, I will banish him to the fuge.

jdnumis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I have had peppermints eat my acans before. And I made sure that they were not camel shrimp. I don't think they would eat your stylo. Have you ever thought about the shrimp bringing a pest to your tank like AEFW? I know that they eat acropora but not sure about sytlo

jdnumis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Acopora eating Flatworms!

Is aefw , flatworms? I googled peppermint shrimp eating corals and there a numerouse amount of threads about it. I did not see him last night doing anything last night . Just racking my brain on what would makecoral crap out and not the rest.:Starwars:

Peppermint shrimp like anything else for aipstasia is a hit or miss. You can't go wrong with a majano wand.

jdnumis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
You can make yourself a fish trap with a bottle of water. Put some mysis in there and go fishing for the shrimp. They will come right up to it.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
I am surprised to hear all this and the only problem I ever had was them eating hermit crabs and grabbing food from corals. I am not convinced that they would eat healthy coral. There are a number of other shrimp that are at times sold as pepermints and some of them are real problems.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
There is another species of shimp being marketed as pepperments. They look almost identical to except its called Lysmata californica from the pacific instead of Lysmata wurdemanni from the carribean. This shrimp is a no no, darker colorations and bigger.

If you do have the normal pepperment, one thing I noticed is that when they eat aptasia, loose bits of it may float free and land somewhere else stinging its target by accident. I have loose bits of frogspawn or other LPS constantly floating around stinging other corals by accident.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: