• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
In a tank the size.of a 40 breeder if i wanted to keep a few easier sps corals closer.to the top can i use just t5 like a 6 bulb set of do i need mh combo ..if i need mh is .250 watt to much for.the mh . I dont want led because i dont know nothing about them its gonna be my first reef i will get a bigger tank later but this is gonna be my learning tank.

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
i would add the sps later in the life of the system i just want to make sure i get the right type of light i look at all the tanks and theres so many different lights.I think the one i was llooking at was ati sunlight or something like that.Luckily most of the corals i like are more of the forgiving ones,i really like the zoas and some lps chalice and stuff.im looking into the mp 20s.

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
ATI 36" 8x39W SunPower T5 High-Output Fixture
clear1x1.gif
clear1x1.gif
clear1x1.gif
Sunlight Supply Maristar 36 inch, 2X250 watt, 2X39 watt, T5 (with ballasts, without lamps) 250415 Coralife Aqualight Pro Metal Halide Aquarium Light Fixture, 1X150 watt, HQI & 2X65 watt, Compact Fluorescents, 36 inch,
which one would be best for a 40 breeder what else does anyone use?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I would look for a light fixture in our 'For Sale Forum', you can get a used one for a great price compared to a new one, though you will probably have to replace the bulbs. A 6 bulb T 5 fixture would be fine over a 40 breeder.

No need for a MH fixture even if you chose to add SPS to the top of the tank.
They suck up way too much electricity and produce too much heat.

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
For some reason I like that 8 bulb fixture,will it have the same intensity as the mh ,I have a chiller I want to have enough light vs not having enough and getting another fixture..Just in case i want to have alot sps. I like the brightess of the mh,I saw led on tanks in the fish stores but i didnt really like the color. There is so much confusing info on whatts per gallon par and all this crap i dont know about. the fish store by me has a huge tank with 14k mh and i think purple bulbs with it and i like the bright shimmer and blue tone,would the 8 bulb fixture match this. sorry for all the questions but if i drop6-7 bills on a light i want the right one.I check the market a lot I got most of ms stuff there tank stand chiller.. the light ill pro end up getting new unles i get lucky and find the right one on the forum ,just gotta get sump skimmer and pumps and i can put water in the tank I hope to have it running in a month.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
By your wish list you'd need to go with the MH's/T5 combo to get the glitter lines you want ( good choice :)) A T5 won't produce those :(

Par is important in SW, we don't use watts per gallon to figure lighting. It's more about tank depth when you are talking T5's & MH.

You should be able to easily find a fixture like that in our marketplace, where you can also post a Want To Buy thread.

You don't need to have the lights to cycle the tank - so you have time to shop.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: