• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jeffgreg

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
We have just set up a new reef tank.

ITs been at least 10 years since my last reef ,and equipment has certainly advanced :wink1:

so we have a 125 gal with 2 over flow boxes into a 40 gal sump below

180 pounds of live rock (btw) really nice live rock I got on eBay flown in wet w lots of live stuff on it.

Amazing led lights from fathom
We will have many questions but wanted to say hi and thanks for this forum

Jeff and Gregg in queens

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
thanks tank is set now the wait for the cycle
But i already have those pest anemones that came w the live rock

May I suggest you jump on the pest anemones now!! Do a search right here, and you will find a multitude of advice on ways to kill those suckers.

DON'T WAIT, or you'll regret it. They multiply quite fast. My gf had one, and from that 1 she ended up with about 200lbs. of live rocks, sand, walls, and overflow, totally covered in aiptasia. What a nightmare that was...

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
welcome to MR.

because the tank is cycling and im assuming no fish or coral yet, I would suggest trying a aptasia killing product like "Aptasia X"

you inject it into the mouth of the anemone and watch them burn in hell.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
but isnt it too early to send in the predators?

nudi branches being the best ?

You are correct! It is way to early to send in the predators.;) As stated by James there are many ways to battle these pest. I used plain old white vinegar found in many kitchens. I am a diabetic so I had syringes. Armed with a cup of vinegar, and a syringe I proceeded to inject them directly into their mouths. You do have to be quick because they will close up quick, and injecting their stems will not do it. The vinegar, lemon juice, aiptasia X or what ever other solution you use has to be injected directly in to their mouths. Others have also used kalkwasser made in to a paste, and then applied over them thus smothering them.

jdnumis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Welcome to MR. All the advice you got so far are from very experienced reefers. A lot of people on here know there stuff. Ask all the questions you have. Good luck with the pest aiptasia. You will be fine with the vinegar.

Coral Theory

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Welcome to the board. I would say the time frame of the cycle depends on many conditions, but testing for ammonia and nitrates would be a good start. You can do this every couple of days until the levels read 0.

Patience is key in this hobby. Best of luck and if you have any questions, feel free to shot us a PM.

Coral Theory Team

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: