• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

beave121

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So I'm thinking of starting a standard 10 gallon reef tank with a bunch of stuff I have laying around.

What I have:
Standard 10 gallon
Misc. HOB filters (going to use sponge/filter floss and charcoal) not sure off the top of my head what brand or size filters but I know they are big enough one is on my 55 fresh water and others were at one point on a large tank. Thinking of putting one with mechanical media and the other going to be a DIY fugue that I saw on YouTube
Dead rock
Standard fluorescent light that comes with tank
Blue LED strip

Few questions...
Will the standard light be enough? If this light would work what bulb would you guys recommend?
How will the marineland LED light do?
The live rock that I have was given to me by a friend that broke down his tank he put them in a bucket and filled it with tank water. Will that be ok or do I dump it out let it dry or try to clean it and let it dry?

Thinking a pair of clowns, shrimp and maybe a urchin and corals. Going to do about 20 pounds of sand for a nice thick bed and about 15 pounds of rock give or take.

Thanks in advance and I hope to start a build thread soon...

al0ha

The Inked Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
if you are planning on doing corals, i would DEF not go with the marine land LEDs. get a par bulb or 2 or a wingo led fixture...perhaps even an AI nano. i wouldn't do an urchin either. whatever you do...make sure you use RO water. having the dead rock is fine but you should also purchase a piece or 2 of live rock from a member and a cup or 2 of live sand to seed the tank.

pmui

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Please see below.
Few questions...
Will the standard light be enough? If this light would work what bulb would you guys recommend? The standard Flourscent bulb will not have enough wattage/intensity for a Reef tank. But will work for a fish only tank.
How will the marineland LED light do? It's rather expensive for a amount of light it provides, I think Wingo makes LED, you can see if he can make something custom for you.
The live rock that I have was given to me by a friend that broke down his tank he put them in a bucket and filled it with tank water. Will that be ok or do I dump it out let it dry or try to clean it and let it dry? The rock will "cycle" in your tank just ask someone for a cup of same from thier tank to give it a kick start.

Thinking a pair of clowns, shrimp and maybe a urchin and corals. Going to do about 20 pounds of sand for a nice thick bed and about 15 pounds of rock give or take. This would work for a small tank.

Thanks in advance and I hope to start a build thread soon...

beave121

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thank guys, the dead rock has been is a bucket of water for a few months now is that a problem??? As for the lights I have been doing some research on building a LED fixture from rapid LED... Price seems right and a lot of good reviews. Thank again for the help

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: