• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Flushtown Reefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 75%
9   3   0
Ok let me give you a little info first...
1. This guy is hard headed.
2. His tank is NOT cycled... He thinks it is cause he had it running for 2 months yet all he had in there was a heater, powerhead and sand... No live rock.
3. I gave him a wrasse and a starfish a few days ago

Can someone else please explain to him that his tank has just began to cycle and what he's starting to see are diatoms and that he should get rid of the starfish, let me hold the wrasse (which he's trading) and take some live rock from my fuge and let the tank cycle for a few weeks.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I've got this brown stuff growing in my sand and on a rock. I'm being told it is diatoms. Is this true?

It is most likely diatoms, but without a pic or viewing it in person it is not possible to give you a response. I see Flushtown stated that he told you it is diatoms along with some good advice.

Did you try to cycle your tank with just sand & salt water?

In your post above you state "a rock". Do you really have only 1 rock, or do you have more?
How did you go about cycling your tank? Please tell us a little about your set up?
Like; when did you set it up? How did you set it up? Tell us about your set up, and equipment. If possible please insert a picture of your tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: