• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

firehazard

firehazard
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
hello all, im doin some research for a custom sump and was wondering how often do an "average" person change/ wash their filter sock? i kno everyone's tank is goin to be different based on bio load and size. but just lookin for a round figure. ALSO if it would make any difference in encorporating a "pre-filter" to the drain before it passes through the filter sock? such as passing through a filterpad that would minimize the amount of waste entering the sock.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Two filter socks on a 155 gal bow front tank changed out every 2 to 3 days, depending on if they get clogged on the 2 day or not. Two filter socks because my tank has 2 drains that are not close to each other so I can't put both in 1 sock. I have 10 socks, so when I use the last pair the other 4 pairs get washed.

firehazard

firehazard
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If your waiting for it to clog yes...if you are trying to get detritus out before it adds nitrates to your tank, then no.i would think you'd still be changing out pre-filters as often anyway...

yes, but u can easily rinse out a sponge to catch the bigger matter. which in turn reducing the waste entering the "prefilter" pad. leading to less waste entering the sock.... wouldnt changing filter pads be cost efficient? and/ or less time consuming (compared to the time cleaning socks)

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Assuming you rinse it daily or every other day, you still have rotting food and detritus in your water path...i think it would also increase salt spray which would slowly decrease your salinity and increase other maintenance..but maintenance is maintenance so just pick your poison, but i personally don't think it buys you that much...ymmv

dannyny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 80%
12   3   0
i change mine out once ever 2-3 weeks. i have a 50 gallon tank.

how do you guys clean your socks? i was spraying them down with a garen hose but since the winter i cant leave my hose out or it will crack from the freezing weather. i normally soak them in a bucket and hand rinse them since and letting them air dry. any other suggestions for me?

thanks

dacaptain78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
i change mine out once ever 2-3 weeks. i have a 50 gallon tank.

how do you guys clean your socks? i was spraying them down with a garen hose but since the winter i cant leave my hose out or it will crack from the freezing weather. i normally soak them in a bucket and hand rinse them since and letting them air dry. any other suggestions for me?

thanks

I throw mine in the washing machine with some bleach. Hot water and give them a second rinse. Then air dry.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I turn them inside out for the first wash with 1/4 cup of bleach, and put them threw a second wash on the 2 rinse cycle 1 more time without bleach.
If they are really dirty I turn them right side out again, and wash them again with a second 1/4 cup of bleach on the 2 rinse cycle, and put them threw a second wash on the 2 rinse cycle 1 more time without bleach.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: