AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I'm about to add my carib sea fiji pink dry sand and was wondering if you're supposed to rinse it first? Its going into a new setup. Also, are you supposed to cure dry rock? I saw a video on reef tutor where the host cures dry rock for weeks before adding to the tank. I thought you only did this with live rock? Would I have to do that in a new system?

Thanks.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Yes, better to rinse the sand first to get as much dust as possible out of it. I (personally) would use RO water rather than tap.

If you are using dry rock (not dead rock) you can cycle the tank & rock at the same time. You will want to add a piece of good live rock to 'seed' the tank with the bacteria. It would also be good if you could get a cup of sand from a reefer with a healthy (read no pests) tank to see the sandbed.

Just be 100% sure to totally finish your cycle before adding anything live to the tank.

Remember to feed the bacteria too - since you are using dry rock there is nothing in the tank for the bacteria to eat..so a tiny pinch of flake food every few days or so will keep the bacteria fed.

Are you planning to cycle using a supermarket shrimp?

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Yes, better to rinse the sand first to get as much dust as possible out of it. I (personally) would use RO water rather than tap.

If you are using dry rock (not dead rock) you can cycle the tank & rock at the same time. You will want to add a piece of good live rock to 'seed' the tank with the bacteria. It would also be good if you could get a cup of sand from a reefer with a healthy (read no pests) tank to see the sandbed.

Just be 100% sure to totally finish your cycle before adding anything live to the tank.

Remember to feed the bacteria too - since you are using dry rock there is nothing in the tank for the bacteria to eat..so a tiny pinch of flake food every few days or so will keep the bacteria fed.

Are you planning to cycle using a supermarket shrimp?

Thanks for the tips Kathy. :) I'll be adding 20lbs of live sand with the dry. I'm also currently looking for a few pieces of live rock. Would you still suggest the flake food? As for the cycle, I was planning on using Biro Spira. What are your thoughts on that?

greybolt03

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Also you could use the bag that the sand came in instead of a dish.. Pour sand in tank place sand bag ontop of sand pour water onto bag, either way is the same method.. I
I haVe never used any of the biosphere products,but some people seem to swar by them, I feel it is Better to let nature take over and run a full cycle instead of adding chemicals.. But like I said many people have had success with it...

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Also you could use the bag that the sand came in instead of a dish.. Pour sand in tank place sand bag ontop of sand pour water onto bag, either way is the same method.. I
I haVe never used any of the biosphere products,but some people seem to swar by them, I feel it is Better to let nature take over and run a full cycle instead of adding chemicals.. But like I said many people have had success with it...

Thanks for the tip. I gave it a lot of thought and I figured the biro spira would not be a bad idea for the beneficial bacteria but I'm definitely not using it as a cycle short cut. Still gonna take that part slow.

jmaquatic

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
also you could use the bag that the sand came in instead of a dish.. Pour sand in tank place sand bag ontop of sand pour water onto bag, either way is the same method.. I
i have never used any of the biosphere products,but some people seem to swar by them, i feel it is better to let nature take over and run a full cycle instead of adding chemicals.. But like i said many people have had success with it...

(+1)

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I would add the rock for a few days and test the water for phosphates before adding sand.
There are a few types of live rock that are said to increase phosphates in systems and if you have one of them then your sand will absorb it also.
Just throw the rock in and start your cycle, then check after a few days, if it is fine then add the sand.
Cant hurt to wait.

shmibly

True Maggot
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a large container to rinse the sand in Ive had success by using an hob filter with only filter floss in it to get rid of the dust in the water. I stir the container lightly every once in a while to avoid sand getting pulled into the filter. Just something i thought might help.

Edjersey

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
This is how I filled my tank.. see all clear fast...Just don't tell my wife I used her China... lol!!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs1362269904.566414.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1362269904.566414.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 86
  • ImageUploadedByReefs1362269929.049379.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1362269929.049379.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 88

Edjersey

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I say sand first.. then put the rocks...I find it a lot easier to set up the rock works without water. when you put the water aim at the rocks so you not disturb the sand..I didn't have that option when I setup mine, most of my corals are attached to my rocks already..

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
If you are curing rock definately wait until that process is over before you add the sand. If you add sand and rock as it cures the sand will absorb all the junk.
That will take months to correct.

First rocks, then water. Let cure fully with water changes.
Then sand.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: