SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I got my first few frags on sat,and I noticed 2 small polyps on the side of the frag plug ,which werent there before can they spread that fast or did I possibly miss them.These are some kinds reddish zoa.Im just suprised I take it its a good start.

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I might have missed them they are tiny im glad i didnt crush them because i grabbed the plug from the sides,with powder free gloves because ill be the one and and a million to get poisoned.. How can you cut the peg part of the frag so it can sit flat.I have a band saw in my basement not the one used for fragging but a real one. Can the frag be out of the water for a couple mins?In the futer when I get more i want to put them on a flat rock so I want the bottom of the plug flat.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Some times what looks like a plump bit of skin on the bottom of a zoa in a few days/weeks turns out to be a new polyp!

I've had some of my zoa frags sprout 1 polyp every 2-3 weeks.

Also, if you have a regular aragonite or somesuch frag plug, you can just...'pop' off the bottom of the plug.

What I do:
Put the frag on the plug between my pointer finger and thumb (where the pad of my thumb would touch the 'middle' knuckle of my pointer finger IF the frag disc were not there)
Place the pad of my thumb on the side of the frag plug stalk.
Hold the disc portion of my frag disc with my 'free' hand.
Increase the pressure of my thumb on the stalk only.
The stalk snaps free and then the disc with the frag on it is safely held by my other hand instead of being flipped across the room.

Done.

Every time I have done it, the frag has been fine, the disc didn't break, and the stalk of the frag plug came off cleanly.

Don't try if you are scared. I would try on an unused frag plug first.
Also, I've never done this on a coral that has encrusted very far down the stalk of the plug.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
You can usually snip the frag itself off the frag plug (i hate those things...lol) using a pair of bone cutters. Just make sure it doesn't go shooting across the room when you do it (!!!) and yes, they can be out of water for a few minutes without hurting them.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: