stormi2ider

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Hey all,

So just started the hobby and began a tank yesterday with the help of a friend how has a couple tanks. I started cycling the water but I am having a real issue. I live in a basement and apparently airflow isn't too great. So the problem is that the water is evaporating but not flowing out properly and I have breathed in a lot of it without knowing. Now I have a really bad sore throat, runny nose, can't take deep breathes, watery eyes, and borderline fever. I am sleeping at my girls house now to avoid any more intake. Has this happened to anyone and what can I do to fix this? I think it's the airflow but not sure and that's why in asking here. Thanks MR.

Also if I fix this issue here, how can I reduce the sound of my overflow pipe? I have a one inch PVC pipe elbow connected directly to the bulkhead as my overflow. Thanks again.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Im 99.9% sure that inhaling the evaporated water is not the cause of your symptoms. In reality you are only inhaling some extra humid air, which might actually be good for you. Unless of course you are snorting lines of salt mix, which is a major no-no.
Don't know about the noise. Maybe some one else will chime in. Hope you feel better and welcome to the forum.

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
+1 to the above statement. The anything that evaporates from a tank is fresh H2O. There's no way that would cause those symptoms. Now, if you had dormant mold sitting in your walls, the extra humidity would spring that crap into action and THAT can cause those symptoms. I would check your walls and ceiling for mold. If you have an infestation, it's best to get rid if it now, the tank is just gonna make it worse by "feeding" the mold with all the extra humidity

Pseudo

OG Member
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Evaporation can cause high humidity which in a basement that might contain mold spores can cause those symptoms. Evaporated water from a tank will not cause any health problems that I can think of in of itself. I think you just got the flu.

stormi2ider

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Okay thanks. I feel like sh** now. Any reason my two friends that came over for like 10 minutes felt the same thing? They had itchy throat and sneezing. I have been sneezing non stop.

Last edited by a moderator:

stormi2ider

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Okay, so doctor said its from the live rock but should be fine as long as I get better ventilation in my basement. Thanks for all your suggestions everyone!

Also no one answered the second question. How do I make the overflow valve now as loud?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: