Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey hoping someone can help me. I am having a problem with my alkalinity being at 15. I need to get it down. I have a 90 gallon tank which I keep at 78 degrees. I have a sump filter which I am currently running with chemi-pure elite and phosguard running in its own reactor. I also run a protein skimmer and uv sterilizer. The salinity is at1.024 nitrites and ammonia are all at 0. The nitrates are around 10-15. The phosphates are at 15(if that) . My calcium is 450. My ph. Is 8.3 .

My corals are open but not opening all the way. I have a 2 frogspawn frags as well as a torch frag. I have a bubble pearl coral. As well as an assorted mushroom pieces. I have polyp frags which are still doing great. I believe the alkalinity is the source of my problem.

I am hoping someone has the answer. Please let me know any helpful thoughts. Thanks

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
What are you testing with? Are you sure your following the test correctly? It's not possible with mag and cal testing in line.

I'm thinking you still need to divide, which would land you at around 7.5 alk?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you testing with? Are you sure your following the test correctly? It's not possible with mag and cal testing in line.

I'm thinking you still need to divide, which would land you at around 7.5 alk?

I use the API reef master kit. Double checked the directions and re did the test. My LFS uses the salifert and they actually got 17. I am a little confused myself on how everything else is in line. They recommended Doinh a 5 gallon water change a day until its where it needs to be. Any thoughts?

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Do you actively test? At what point did this alk reach "15?" I'm confused how it could be that high without a recent overdose.

Salts can be off in test results but in order for something to hit that high their would have needed a very large waterchange.

Anyways, did you do a large water change recently?

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test once a week. I did a 15 gallon water change on Tuesday due to me medicating for ich. I did it like any other water change. Believe me I am myself wondering what's happening due to I don't like the water fluctuating to much for obvious reasons

zeroblake07

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem before and i fix it with a lots of water changes and keeping my calcium at the right level, well i'm new in this hobby and i've been searching a lot of info from the web, and that is because your calcium level is down. Calcium and alkalinity are at the most important parameters of the reef aquarium to balance of your aquarium, keep it them in the right balance you'll be good and your corals too!! Check this web site i hope it will help you!!

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/index.php

Good luck!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem before and i fix it with a lots of water changes and keeping my calcium at the right level, well i'm new in this hobby and i've been searching a lot of info from the web, and that is because your calcium level is down. Calcium and alkalinity are at the most important parameters of the reef aquarium to balance of your aquarium, keep it them in the right balance you'll be good and your corals too!! Check this web site i hope it will help you!!

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/index.php

Good luck!

Thanks for the help I appreciate it

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: