AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I'll try to make this short. On 3/9/13, I tried starting a cycle using Bio Spira. I got called away for work for 4 days so I was not able to test the water. Been testing daily since and I have seen no change in ammonia. I think were I went wrong is that I never added anything (shrimp, fish food, etc.) in the beginning to the tank for the bacteria to feed on. I started adding fish food daily on 3/15/13 but still no change in parameters, which makes me think i missed my window.

On 3/29/13 I decided to try again this time adding a raw shrimp and some Colony (ATM stuff). The next day I noticed the ammonia went up to .25. I also noticed some brown stuff starting to show on the rocks. The shrimp is also starting to look funky. I just tested the water today and the ammonia seems to be between .25 -.50. No nitrite and my nitrates are at 20. I'm sure part of this my impatience but I'm also wondering if my tank is on the right track or has the cycle finished? Its a 125 gallon tank. Here are my parameters and some pics of my most recent tests.

Ammonia (API): .25-.50
Nitrite (API): 0
Nitrate (API): 20-ish
Salinity( reef crystals): 1.023 (Using refractometer)
Temperature: 83.3
Using RODI water (BRS 5-stage)
20 lbs live sand
60lbs live rock

Please let me know if you need any additional info.

Thanks very much!

Attachments

• Ammonia.jpg
    Ammonia.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 304
  • Nitrite.jpg
    Nitrite.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 302
  • Nitrate.jpg
    Nitrate.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 289
  • Shrimp.jpg
    Shrimp.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 283

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
You've already got nitrates forming, so you may not see nitrite.,.take out the shrimp and when ammonia is at 0 you should be ok. Keep monitoring. Then you'll need some water changed to get those nitrates down :)

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
The Spike In Ammonia Was All You Needed You Might Have Cycled Already ANd Spiked The Amm With The Shrimp.Take Shrimp Out And Test Daily Till Only Nitrates Are Present...You Will See Brown Diatoms That Usaully Means Its Almost Done. I Had The Same Problem I Didnt Test The Tank Cycled In 3 Weeks I Missed it.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The Spike In Ammonia Was All You Needed You Might Have Cycled Already ANd Spiked The Amm With The Shrimp.Take Shrimp Out And Test Daily Till Only Nitrates Are Present...You Will See Brown Diatoms That Usaully Means Its Almost Done. I Had The Same Problem I Didnt Test The Tank Cycled In 3 Weeks I Missed it.

Thanks Steve. Just was not sure if that was considered a spike. Also I've read that some people leave the shrimp in until it totally decomposes. I'm getting that shrimp out tonight! :)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I would not use any chemical/bacteria to correct/change any of the parameters. Going though a natural cycle is the best thing for the tank at this point. Chemicals will only give you a false sense of security and clearly your situation is odd to start with!

You should not have ammonia, then zero nitrites and then a nitrate reading..that is just wrong. I would imagine the Bio Spira & Colony that you added are what is accounting for your nitrate level.

The tank MUST have nitrites to deal with the ammonia - yet your reading is zero.

I would remove the shrimp.
Add a small pinch of food every other day only.
Test daily to see when the nitrites come up.
At that point your ammonia should be going down.
It's possible your nitrates may not rise any further.

Where did you get your live rock?

Your temp is a little on the high side..are you running your lights? Not necessary during the cycle, you will just add fuel for algae growth. (I know...you want to see the tank lit up..try and resist :))

zenfish

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind od live rock? Where did u get it from?

Go to a good LFS and ask for a scoop of live sand from an estabkished tank, drop it in your tank.

Wait.... lights off... for as long as possible.

Pull those stank shrimp out of the tank, maybe add some food every couple of days or some fish , like mollies or killies or guppies, to help feed your bacteria. But good true livesand will help more then anythong else, and then just be super patient and let your tank run a few months. If u have a high nitrate reading after that do a massive water xhangw and add some nitrate remover, polyoads, or start some macro algae in your fuge or in the tank, but the big water change is key before lights go on.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I would not use any chemical/bacteria to correct/change any of the parameters. Going though a natural cycle is the best thing for the tank at this point. Chemicals will only give you a false sense of security and clearly your situation is odd to start with!

You should not have ammonia, then zero nitrites and then a nitrate reading..that is just wrong. I would imagine the Bio Spira & Colony that you added are what is accounting for your nitrate level.

The tank MUST have nitrites to deal with the ammonia - yet your reading is zero.

I would remove the shrimp.
Add a small pinch of food every other day only.
Test daily to see when the nitrites come up.
At that point your ammonia should be going down.
It's possible your nitrates may not rise any further.

Where did you get your live rock?

Your temp is a little on the high side..are you running your lights? Not necessary during the cycle, you will just add fuel for algae growth. (I know...you want to see the tank lit up..try and resist :))

Thanks Kathy. I removed the shrimp last night. Tested parameters again tonight. Ammonia appears a bit lighter but not by much. I have the temp that high because thats what was suggested on the Colony bottle. I got the live rock from an MR member. It had been out of water for about a week so I had it sitting in saltwater for about two weeks before adding it to the tank. I noticed a bunch of die off before I added it to the tank. I have not been running the lights... much, lol. Once or twice when I first installed them but I know better than to leave them on. :)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I'd still turn the temp down some. Higher temps speed up the life cycle of things in our tanks, you are looking to grow bacteria, not age it. ;)

If the 'live rock' you got was out of water for a week, then it is dead rock :( Did you scrub it off before you added it to the tank?

One more question..was the bottle of Colony already open when you got it? If so, it was likely dead bacteria.

If you haven't already, I would try and get a small/mid sized rock from a local reefer to help seed your tank with the bacterias that you need to do a proper cycle.

Is the Nitrite still reading zero? (sorry that was an extra question :))

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I'd still turn the temp down some. Higher temps speed up the life cycle of things in our tanks, you are looking to grow bacteria, not age it. ;)

If the 'live rock' you got was out of water for a week, then it is dead rock :( Did you scrub it off before you added it to the tank?

One more question..was the bottle of Colony already open when you got it? If so, it was likely dead bacteria.

If you haven't already, I would try and get a small/mid sized rock from a local reefer to help seed your tank with the bacterias that you need to do a proper cycle.

Is the Nitrite still reading zero? (sorry that was an extra question :))

I did not scrub it (was told not to) but I did have it sitting in a brute can for two weeks with a heater and powerhead. I did two water changes during that time. I noticed a lot of dead stuff at the bottom of the can when I removed the rocks.

What temp do you suggest keeping the tank? The bottle of Colony was definitely sealed when it was purchased and my nitrites are still reading zero. Nitrates holding at about 20. I still have not done a water change. I keep topping off with RODI (Tunze ATO).

I forgot to mention that i have the start of brown algae growing on the rocks (Diatoms?). I first noticed it around 3/30/13. Its not a large outbreak but seems to be spreading across my rocks. Wouldn't that mean the cycle is nearing completion?

Thanks again.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
The cycle relates to ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. When ammonia and nitrites are zero then the cycle is done. Nitrates may be too high at that time but that is another issue to deal with. Same with diatoms and any other pests. Also, make sure your test kit is not past its life. If it is an old test kit it is pretty much worthless. I don't remember how to tell the dates of each bottle but it is there somewhere.

felix tesler

Experienced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
i agree with kathy this is a hobby that you must be patient in let the tank cycle naturally micro organisms are going to die from the live rock you put in the tank that will help cycle the tank i also think the temp is a little to high mine is at 77 at most

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: