AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Even if your heaters internal thermostat is bad your APEX should turn off the outlet that you have specified for the heater. Please make sure your heaters are in the correct outlets and that the outlets are set to AUTO. If you need help or another look over of your APEX please PM me and I will work with you to remote into your system. Hope this helps

Nottick,

The heaters were in outlets 1 and 2 on my EB8. Should they be in another outlet? I was told that it does not matter. Funny thing is that I set those two outlets to ON instead of AUTO. Do you think that might be the culprit? Even so, shouldn't the Apex have shut them off once they hit 78 as they are currently programmed?

Nottick

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Ok make sure you program both outlets for a heater and set them to AUTO. When you complete this both should turn on and off together.

I have noticed with some heaters that have their own controller is that they default on powerup to a lower number than you may want IE: When it powers on it defaults to 75 deg when you want to keep your tank at 78 deg. If thats the case if there is a temp probe for the heater, just leave it in open air to trick it so that only the apex will turn off the heat.

If the heater defaults back to where you had set it generally in that case people would set the thermostat on the heater to lets say 81 deg as a failsafe in case the APEX faults.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Can you access your APEX remotely? If so PM Me the login information so I can look over what you have and have you plug the heaters into the proper plugs.

Thanks man but I still have not set up remote access yet. That was going to be my next project probably this weekend. (spent last weekend setting up an auto shut off valve for my ATO)

Like I said in an earlier post, I removed the heaters from the APEX last night before I went to sleep and I've had them plugged into wall outlets since, yet the temp continues to rise. Is there a heater that works best for the Apex? Does anyone have a suggestion on a reliable heater? I got these ViaAqua heaters as a gift and didn't really think it would matter.

I just checked my tank and the heaters continue to pop on and off. Please check out my pics. You can see the one on the left is on and the tank temp is 81 degrees.

Attachments

• Heater On.jpg
    Heater On.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 241
  • Apex Display.jpg
    Apex Display.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 233
  • Sump.jpg
    Sump.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 236
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
No such thing as a stupid question bro. The room temp is 70 last time i checked. The heaters should be off when the temp is at 78 but I noticed that the on light comes on randomly. The temp is now at 80.1 since I first started this thread. I should have mentioned that they have their own thermostats (ViaAqua 300 -watt ). Not sure if that has anything to do with it but I made sure to set the individual thermostats at 79. Other than that I'm stumped.

I had the same problem with the same heater. I think it has something to do with the thermostat on the AquaVia. I ended up setting the temperature on the heater to 75-76 degrees and that helped a bit. Hope this helps.

NYCEnglish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I don't think there's any heaters particularly suited to the Apex but there are better heaters than others. Personally, I would choose a Jager but ll heaters seem to fail eventually.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I had the same problem with the same heater. I think it has something to do with the thermostat on the AquaVia. I ended up setting the temperature on the heater to 75-76 degrees and that helped a bit. Hope this helps.

Thanks Sanman. I actually lowered the thermostats to 75 last night before bed and the tank is now at 80.1 and probably rising, lol. This hobby was supposed to be stress reliever from work, lol.

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Thanks Sanman. I actually lowered the thermostats to 75 last night before bed and the tank is now at 80.1 and probably rising, lol. This hobby was supposed to be stress reliever from work, lol.

No problem, tell me about it. I have spent way too many nights sleeping on the couch next to the tank because I was afraid something terrible would happen. That and all the nightmares I've had about water leaks, lol. Don't get me going.

Nottick

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Yes i think its the same issue... You had stated you the outlets set as "ON" so the heaters will act the same was as plugged into a standard outlet. You to set them to "AUTO" and have it programmed correctly with the heaters in the programmed outlets and problem solved

pmoneyt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
looking at the program it should be

Fallback OFF
If Temp < 76.0 Then ON
If Temp > 77.0 Then OFF

if you are running MH's you can add a line to your lighting program to shut off the lights if The temp get too high.

Cris007

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I had a issue with my j?ger heater where it was turning on and off constantly when I was setting it up in my sump in an angle just like the pic. Then I read that the heater has to be mounted vertical and fully submerged not in a angle, once I corrected it stopped its sporadic on,off behavior. I ended up mounting it in my overflow where I had the room and it was out of sight.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I had a issue with my j?ger heater where it was turning on and off constantly when I was setting it up in my sump in an angle just like the pic. Then I read that the heater has to be mounted vertical and fully submerged not in a angle, once I corrected it stopped its sporadic on,off behavior. I ended up mounting it in my overflow where I had the room and it was out of sight.

Hey Cris, thats an interesting idea. I will definitely look into that that. Thanks very much!

ReefMonkey13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
If your outlet program is what you have set on your first post AND you have the outlets set to Auto from the status page then your Apex with shut those outlets off once the temp probe reads 78.6 and over. Those outlets will not be triggered back on until the temp probe reads below 78.0.

If you have the outlet ON at all times it does not matter how your program your outlet because it will not follow it. The outlet needs to be on AUTO to follow the conditions of the program.

As others have mentioned I would not trust the temp settings on the heaters on their own.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: