So i started my first saltwater tank on March 3 (rodi/dry rock,dry sand) 75 gallon. My cycled was completed around week 3/4 and after i added 2x false clowns (1"). The following weeks the my paramaters have looked good and have not changed. On Thursday i added a blue hippo (2") and today a cleaner shrimp. I dont plan on adding anything else until the MReefs FragSwap on the 28th, is there anything besides routine weekly water changes (4gallons), i should be doing? SHould i just be letting the system catch up with the new bacteria? I plan on this setup being a mixed reef, should i be doing anything else? Thanks

Parameters
--------------
Ammonia = 0
Ph = 8.0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 20 now 10ppm
Phosphates = 0

:biglaugh::groupflipBLUE HIPPO (Upgrading in 3 months to a 125 w/30 gallon refugium)

al0ha

The Inked Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
you're doing it wrong bro.....u cant be adding fish or anything like that within the first few months certainly not tangs.

my advice to you: sell off all your livestock while they're still healthy and properly cycle your tank.

i understand tanks go through multiply cycles, but my tank did go through the initial one!
ammonia spike, nitrite spike, Nitrate spike,? I understand i cant just keep adding fish and 3(even these small guys) may be pushing it, but no fish or anything? for how long if not after cycle should i be waiting and what should i be looking for to happen before adding ANY livestock?

dre82584

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
everyone has a different view some ppl wait a few months like he said and some ppl have fish in thier tanks wit in a few weeks just stay on top of ur levels n dont go fsih crazy yet but everyones tank is not the same some ppl go thru 2 or 3 cycles before they an put n e thing in thier tank

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
I agree you should slow it down just a bit. Tell us what you did to get cycle going. Some use a shrimp others feed the tank and some may urinate in tank ( only heard this once)
Did your test levels go up and now they have leveled off to what you posted. You may not have actually cycled the tank is what the other posts are suggesting. And while everyone's tanks are different, the start of the tank is crucial for everyones system

I cycled the tank with some raw shrimp. My ammonia spiked and fell, nitrite spiked and fell, and nitrate spiked and dropped to around 10 ppm. It took about 4weeks for that to accure. Since the day I added the 2xclowns until now(clowns,hippo,cleaner shrimp, 10hermits) the system has not changed 1 bit.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite. 0
Nitrate. 10ppm
Ph. 8.0
Temp. 76 degrees
Phosphates. 0

I definitely won't be adding anything until May and that's if everything stays stable.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I think you're doing well. Follow your own advice and dont add anything to the tank for a month or so. Also, even in a month, please add livestock slowly so your system has time to "catch up".
The only thing I would change is water change size. I would do 10% or more (water volume ) change per week.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: