stormi2ider

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Hey MR,

Been cycling my tank for almost two weeks now and water parameters are getting where it's supposed to be. I have a question regarding this form yellow stuff growing on my rocks and I'm not sure if its good or bad. Can anyone let me know what that is?

ImageUploadedByReefs1365476738.344524.jpg

Thanks! Any help is appreciated!

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
Jon, yes, those are part of the cycling process, no need to worry, it will go away soon, those rock looks pretty dense, If you can use rocks that are more porious, it allows critters and pod to populate and seek refuge which will be benficial. Since you are just cycling i would just run some power head and heater, nothing else is really needed. Don't waste electricty on lighting the thank. Since you start with dry rocks, it's going to take a while before the rock to color up, maybe several months, kind of eye sore to look at white rocks for such a long time.....lol! And remember patient is the key to reefing, if not it'll cost you a fortune :)Good luck!!!

Last edited:

stormi2ider

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Thanks for the info all. I am glad that it's normal, was starting to get worried. So just weekly water changes will help it and dont need to do anything else? By the way, the diatoms have doubled overnight and spread a lot faster.

Responding to the last poster. That's only one side of the tank, other side has rocks that organisms and fish could go through. I actually have live rocks in the tank too, that is why I keep the light on. Some of the rocks have polyps on it too (hence I had palytoxin when I first set the tank up explained in another post) but they have died off. And yes, I am patiently waiting. The water parameters have leveled and is reef safe but I am waiting a month or so first.

Last edited:

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
When I first setup my tank I didn't do water changes for the first month...reason being the diatoms are feeding off of silicates, phosphates, nitrates and lighting. all these play a major role in the growth of diatoms.with added nutrients from water changes your just extending the cycling progress.all I did towards the end of the cycle was add bacteria.after the first water change I then added a clean up crew......this is just the way I did it and people will probably question my method but it worked for me with every setup I ever had.

stormi2ider

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
My parameters are good and ready for stuff but I was going to let it cycle till the swap before I start putting stuff in. So I should get a cleaner pack? Seems like there's still some diatoms left though, should I wait for that to clear up?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: